Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

Epi-Pen Poll

Epi-Pens a good idea?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Epi-Pens

• Great idea!
    • Not so great idea.

I feel we need some sort of a defib as medics are difficult to work with sometimes. there are if the this could be balanced by making the defib have a long cool-down or be very expensive. eh just my thoughts.

• Head Admin

It boiled down to adding defibs and decimating Olympus's R&R or compromising.  Most of the shouting came from people who where from Asylum where defibs where already a thing but honestly the R&R setups between the 2 communities couldn't be farther apart and adding in what effectively replaces medics simply was not an option for us.

Epi-pens where the compromise we landed on.  They give civilians a 2nd chance if there isn't a medic immediately available and at the same time doesn't utterly remove the need for R&R.

All I ask is for you to step back and look at the bigger picture

• Like 6

The Epi-Pens are being put in as a compromise. If you don't like the compromise, we don't need to put them in. Problem is, people will always something better without regards to another. The Epi-Pens are being put in because people wanted defibs. Defibs are not being put in because we, as a staff, decided it would be detrimental to R&R. But because of the outcry, we came up with a solution because the community didn't want to always rely on medics.

1 hour ago, Dezree said:

The Epi-Pens are being put in as a compromise. If you don't like the compromise, we don't need to put them in. Problem is, people will always something better without regards to another. The Epi-Pens are being put in because people wanted defibs. Defibs are not being put in because we, as a staff, decided it would be detrimental to R&R. But because of the outcry, we came up with a solution because the community didn't want to always rely on medics.

LOL. this made me giggle a bit. 

1 hour ago, McDili said:

Hey civs. R&R compromised. Now it's your turn to compromise on defibs and understand that epi-pens is the middle ground.

You can not budge all you want. Not getting defibs.

R@R get invited to a round table discussion about defibs. but when you add a rule that hurts civs you shove it up our ass and lock the the announcement post so we cant say anything. Admins can be in the APD and RR but cant be  in gangs, leaving us severely under represented. The epi pen idea is meh imo. at first i thought it was cool, but the more i think about it, the less i like it. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Dezree said:

IMO, if the defibs were 70k, i would probably only use them during fights where I needed to be revived at that time. Might only be me though. Would still use medics 95% of the time, only if goonie is on though.

13 minutes ago, Grandma Gary said:

It boiled down to adding defibs and decimating Olympus's R&R or compromising.  Most of the shouting came from people who where from Asylum where defibs where already a thing but honestly the R&R setups between the 2 communities couldn't be farther apart and adding in what effectively replaces medics simply was not an option for us.

Epi-pens where the compromise we landed on.  They give civilians a 2nd chance if there isn't a medic immediately available and at the same time doesn't utterly remove the need for R&R.

All I ask is for you to step back and look at the bigger picture

I like the compromise, if there is no medics on (or none that can enter red zones), I have the ability to save my loadout. I don't see why people are so opposed to this? Defibs would render medics useless and this is a RP server at the end of the day people.

7 minutes ago, Lethal said:

LOL. this made me giggle a bit. 

R@R get invited to a round table discussion about defibs. but when you add a rule that hurts civs you shove it up our ass and lock the the announcement post so we cant say anything. Admins can be in the APD and RR but cant be  in gangs, leaving us severely under represented. The epi pen idea is meh imo. at first i thought it was cool, but the more i think about it, the less i like it. 

Notice anything about this 7a35ea88d42441c5458586b00d37e19b.png

Factions and gangs are not comparable. Civ is a faction. Peter Long and Grandma Gary has played quite a lot of civ. Deimos predominantly plays civ too. All four of us have also been in competitive gangs on this server.

Please tell me more about how civs are "Oh so under represented." 

The fact this was even considered is because of civs. You're new to the server, I don't expect you to know its past. But the entire concept of defibs has been swiftly shot down so fast in the past that it never even got this far. It's been brought up many times just for a solid "No" to be heard from the previous staff.

If civ perspective wasn't considered then we wouldn't be having this conversation at all. Instead, we spent a week theorycrafting ideas on what could work and landed on something.

What you're asking for is civ-favored with less consideration to other factions. Spare me the hissy fit about civs being the victim here.

Honestly, I would be fine with having neither defibs nor epi-pens. I think most of our medics are more than qualified. Also, I think death should be inconvenient. Otherwise the game would be too easy

Edited by Marty
Fixing a double negative
15 minutes ago, Linka said:

IMO, if the defibs were 70k, i would probably only use them during fights where I needed to be revived at that time. Might only be me though. Would still use medics 95% of the time, only if goonie is on though.

Defibs are not 70k. I believe as it stands they are only 20k. 

3 minutes ago, McDili said:

Factions and gangs are not comparable. Civ is a faction. Peter Long and Grandma Gary has played quite a lot of civ. Deimos predominantly plays civ too. All four of us have also been in competitive gangs on this server.

Please tell me more about how civs are "Oh so under represented." 

The fact this was even considered is because of civs. You're new to the server, I don't expect you to know its past. But the entire concept of defibs has been swiftly shot down so fast in the past that it never even got this far. It's been brought up many times just for a solid "No" to be heard from the previous staff.

If civ perspective wasn't considered then we wouldn't be having this conversation at all. Instead, we spent a week theorycrafting ideas on what could work and landed on something.

What you're asking for is civ-favored with less consideration to other factions. Spare me the hissy fit about civs being the victim here.

ive played arma for 5000 hours (6000 if you count leaving my launcher open) servers with defibs are just better in general( not saying olympus is bad) and yes, civs should be favored more, they account for 90 percent of the server population. Not having a single admin that is strictly civ is an atrocity. im new to this server, but im not new to the politics of altis life servers

• Like 1
Just now, Lethal said:

ive played arma for 5000 hours (6000 if you count leaving my launcher open) servers with defibs are just better in general( not saying olympus is bad) and yes, civs should be favored more, they account for 90 percent of the server population. Not having a single admin that is strictly civ is an atrocity. im new to this server, but im not new to the politics of altis life servers

It comes down to preference. We prefer something different for our server.

It's simply a difference of opinion between some players and staff. Gary primarily plays civ. Despite his APD tag he doesn't actually play APD. When he was Chief it was pretty much Peter and I running it. And then Peter just left the APD not long ago. 

Again I reiterate: CIVS are the reason epi-pens are even happening. If we were more R&R favored then we'd have shot it down just as easily as it had been in the past. I'm not even R&R and this has almost nothing to do with APD so obviously, having been in a gang before and having almost no time as R&R, I was operating with a civ perspective most of this discussion.

3 hours ago, Peter Long said:

Defibs are not 70k. I believe as it stands they are only 20k. 

yeah if we had actually defibs they would've ranged around 70k, (from what i heard)

--------------------

Also, defibs would deprive from medics. I get that, but I don't really believe it would be that crucial. Let's put two scenarios and see if a medics or defibs would be used. 

1. I died in a cartel fight, and my friend who is arriving goes, "alright ill get you a defib." since they would pack up our bag; honestly wouldnt carry it around, right? 

2. I get arma'd in the middle of a rebel. Chances are; if rebels are there im not getting a medic or a defib. If there aren't rebels- my friends aren't spending 70k when a paramedic (who now can't be killed on sight in redzones) is 5km away.

Of course this won't change any moderators / admins position on the whole thing. I might not be thinking about people who don't really care and will use defibs for everything. But I don't really believe that it would kill the medic faction in any way, honestly it should kill the hate on everyone; and they won't be flamed for being 9km away in an SUV. That's just my thought, though. : )

Just now, Linka said:

yeah if we had actually defibs they would've ranged around 70k, (from what i heard)

--------------------

Also, defibs would deprive from medics. I get that, but I don't really believe it would be that crucial. Let's put two scenarios and see if a medics or defibs would be used.

1. I died in a cartel fight, and my friend who is arriving goes, "alright ill get you a defib." since they would pack up our bag; honestly wouldnt carry it around, right?

2. I get arma'd in the middle of a rebel. Chances are; if rebels are there im not getting a medic or a defib. If there aren't rebels- my friends aren't spending 70k when a paramedic (who now can't be killed on sight in redzones) is 5km away.

Of course this won't change any moderators / admins position on the whole thing. I might not be thinking about people who don't really care and will use defibs for everything. But I don't really believe that it would kill the medic faction in any way, honestly it should kill the hate on everyone; and they won't be flamed for being 9km away in an SUV. That's just my thought, though. : )

Please look at the original defib post. We edit that initial post to keep you all updated on our changes. As it stands, they are a virtual item that only costs 20k. A Dopamine Injection, which is supplied by a medic or a hospital, is 15k. A total revive with an Epi-Pen will only cost you 35k. If you die before you get to a hospital, a medic can revive you, bringing the total to 30k. Honestly, for 35k you wouldn't carry one?

Bitch please :D

2 hours ago, Lethal said:

88/100 and 83/100 on a Tuesday night.  Seems like Olympus is doing just fine, and thats still without defibs.  This server and this community have been here for quite awhile now and have done quite well, without defibs I might add.  Some individuals within the community brought up defibs and you were told it wont happen.  A compromise was made and Olympus is moving forward. Why dont you try to be happy that a version of what the community, or again a part of it, asked for is being implemented.  Might I add that this stuff does not program itself either. The devs now have to work on how to implement all this.

• Like 6
  • Downvote 1

While I think the concept of Epi-Pens are great, there are some problems. One of those being the 5 minute timer. Take for example you are fighting at Mushroom cartel, or any location where the people attacking the cartel basically cut off defenders from leaving, how would one get to a medic/hospital within that 5 minute timer? Even considering Dili's idea about people dying inside of a vehicle after the timer exceeds, how are you supposed to get to a vehicle in this kind of situation? 

I am not shit talking the idea, just provoking discussion. I understand civ is not the only faction on the server. 

All in all I think its a pretty solid idea/compromise. The idea just needs more discussion/development before solid objections can be made to it. 

3 hours ago, Peter Long said:

Please look at the original defib post. We edit that initial post to keep you all updated on our changes. As it stands, they are a virtual item that only costs 20k. A Dopamine Injection, which is supplied by a medic or a hospital, is 15k. A total revive with an Epi-Pen will only cost you 35k. If you die before you get to a hospital, a medic can revive you, bringing the total to 30k. Honestly, for 35k you wouldn't carry one?

im not referring to epi-pens. if we implemented actual defibs, not the compromised ones.

14 minutes ago, Peter Long said:

No, we agreed that the dopamine shot from a medic would be 10k and that the shot from the hospital would be 30k. So, somebody spends 20k on the pen. The player spends 10k on a medic (If he dies on the way to the hospital then he still only pays 10k for a revive) to keep with the theme of medics reviving people for 10k. If they choose the hospital, it costs 30k.

It splits the cost between players, and gives the play that get's Epi'd the financial decision to either pay what they'd pay a medic (And make a medic more favorable to contact) or get the shot from a hospital at a slightly higher cost. Over all the total cost is 50k or 30k depending on which option you choose. Still saves a lot of money on a loadout either way.

6 minutes ago, Trumper said:

While I think the concept of Epi-Pens are great, there are some problems. One of those being the 5 minute timer. Take for example you are fighting at Mushroom cartel, or any location where the people attacking the cartel basically cut off defenders from leaving, how would one get to a medic/hospital within that 5 minute timer? Even considering Dili's idea about people dying inside of a vehicle after the timer exceeds, how are you supposed to get to a vehicle in this kind of situation? 

I am not shit talking the idea, just provoking discussion. I understand civ is not the only faction on the server. 

All in all I think its a pretty solid idea/compromise. The idea just needs more discussion/development before solid objections can be made to it. 

Remember, we like the idea of people suffering consequences when they die. It's part of the core design philosophy. It's not supposed to be something you use as a no-brainer in any situation. It's something you use wisely and it may not always pay off. Risk/Reward.