Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

My predicament.

• Head Admin

Mkay so long story short.  My computer decided it would be a really good idea to open its big old mouth real wide then just shit all down its own throat recently so I went ahead and ordered parts for a new PC, the usual motherboard, CPU and ram.

So the parts all arrive and I'm thinking to myself ok lets hammer this shit together and see what happens when it dawns on me... It might run better with an operating system =OOO

Thus we arrive at my current predicament.  Does anyone have experience who upgraded either their Windows 7/8 OS to Windows 10 via the free upgrade who successfully transferred their licence between machines? 

I thoroughly Googled this issue and it turns out that everyone who tried has met one of 2 scenarios, either they installed a fresh OS with no issue or they where met with the old key already used message.  Apparently OEM versions are  not transferable ever but retail keys are.  My original OS was retail 8.1 but it also turns out that some people can do it fine and some cant.

Google has failed me.

• Like 1
  • Head Admin
2 minutes ago, Orgondo said:

I bought my 8.1 key from G2A for $14 =p

I WANT TO GET WHAT I PAID FOR ORGONDO.

Could be worse I could go full herp and pay $627 for Sony Vegas AMIRITE!?

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Grandma Gary said:

I bought my 8.1 key from G2A for $14 =p

I WANT TO GET WHAT I PAID FOR ORGONDO.

Could be worse I could go full herp and pay $627 for Sony Vegas AMIRITE!?

Poor Thomas, such a naive person.

I had no problem with mine. I kept onto windows 8 for two to three months after windows 10 was released. I'm pretty sure that had a lot to do with everything. My key was as old windows 8 pro from staples a long time ago.

My shoddy PC works perfectly fine, I dunno what's wrong with y'alls super computers.

• Admin

Well. I upgraded my Windows 8.1 OEM ( bought on Newegg.com ) to Windows 10 for free and I had absolutely no issues with the license. I have never purchased anything on G2A, much less OS keys. That might be the issue I'm not sure. 

Never mind. You bought a new motherboard. I forgot that OEM can only be installed on the initial motherboard. I think you would have to call Microsoft for the license transfer. It is possible I just haven't done it myself. 

Well first off you probably shouldn't have paid for a $14 license since that was just pirated anyway (or sold illegally) :P but might as well try the upgrade and see if it works, if it doesn't, you could just fresh install and purchase a brand new key or arrrrgggggggggggggggg m8y. Theres not really any risk with just trying the upgrade to see if it will work.

I've seen stories of people contacting MS to try and transfer the key between comp's and had MS just delete the key and tell them to fuck off basically.  Not sure how true that is but I've read a couple stories like that.

Edited by betrayus
who cares
3 minutes ago, betrayus said:

Well first off you probably shouldn't have paid for a $14 license since that was just pirated anyway (or sold illegally) :P but might as well try the upgrade and see if it works, if it doesn't, you could just fresh install and purchase a brand new key or arrrrgggggggggggggggg m8y. Theres not really any risk with just trying the upgrade to see if it will work.

Is that you in your forums account picture... I wonder :Kappa:

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Grandma Gary said:

Put all the new shit in and tried to boot op the old OS and it works fine l0l.  Didn't have to format/install or anything.  Needs to be reactivated now though and my key is no longer valid =(

Call Microsoft. Don't tell them you bought the key on G2A though. :). Also, why isn't your old face on the staff members section? Fix it! 

By the way I just remembered that you are the old lady that is watching "Murder she wrote" in a video on Terminator 2 -3D at Universal Studios Florida. I figured with the kind of money you made from that you could have bought 100 legit Windows copies! :Kappa: 

16 hours ago, Tman15tmb said:

Crack an egg into your computer then wait 10-15 minutes ^____^

16 hours ago, Tman15tmb said:

Crack an egg into your computer then wait 10-15 minutes ^____^

Tried this. You didn't inform me that it wasn't the egg that was going to be fried.

3/10 on helpfulness.  :PJSalt: