Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

Really Olympus, bans VPN Users?

So i got this when trying to get on the server " Kicked off the game. (battlEye:admin Kick (Banned.)) "

I put a ban appeal in and go this is the response

"This is an automated ban that detects if a player is using a VPN and will ban them automatically, please review the following;

If you are using a VPN, you will need to disable or get rid of the VPN in order to be unbanned and notify the Olympus staff that you have done so. Please keep in mind that the system automatically detects if a VPN is being used so if you notified staff that it is removed, yet you did not do so and we lift it, the system will ban you once you have logged in."

REALLY, if you are a VPN user you can't play on Olympus now with the new update!?

They do this so that people can't ban evade as easily. But honestly if I were to get perm'd, and I wanted to get on my alt and join Olympus I would just all around change my IP. It is NOT hard and it doesn't really affect me at all. People like @Sociopathic have non-static IP's that they get from their ISP anyways. The whole VPN ban thing is pretty stupid because you can easily  just change your ip if you're just planning on RDMing in altis life.......

tl;dr : This is stupid

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Merpfer said:

They do this so that people can't ban evade as easily. But honestly if I were to get perm'd, and I wanted to get on my alt and join Olympus I would just all around change my IP. It is NOT hard and it doesn't really affect me at all. People like @Sociopathic have non-static IP's that they get from their ISP anyways. The whole VPN ban thing is pretty stupid because you can easily  just change your ip if you're just planning on RDMing in altis life.......

tl;dr : This is stupid

It won't stop everyone. But it'll stop some of them!

8 minutes ago, Ultra said:

So i got this when trying to get on the server " Kicked off the game. (battlEye:admin Kick (Banned.)) "

I put a ban appeal in and go this is the response

"This is an automated ban that detects if a player is using a VPN and will ban them automatically, please review the following;

If you are using a VPN, you will need to disable or get rid of the VPN in order to be unbanned and notify the Olympus staff that you have done so. Please keep in mind that the system automatically detects if a VPN is being used so if you notified staff that it is removed, yet you did not do so and we lift it, the system will ban you once you have logged in."

REALLY, if you are a VPN user you can't play on Olympus now with the new update!?

If you have a legitimate case as to why you use a VPN in-game, let us know in your ban appeal and we can add you an exception list if we feel like your need is justifiable. If not, simply submit a ban appeal and it will be lifted and remember not to use a VPN while playing.

1 minute ago, McDili said:

It won't stop everyone. But it'll stop some of them!

If you have a legitimate case as to why you use a VPN in-game, let us know in your ban appeal and we can add you an exception list if we feel like your need is justifiable. If not, simply submit a ban appeal and it will be lifted and remember not to use a VPN while playing.

He can't NOT use a VPN, it's programmed into his router

2 minutes ago, Ultra said:

That's very disappointing, my VPN is router based and is basic internet security in 2017, you already have others ways of controlling griefing

Like I said, post your justification in your ban appeal. We will look over it in a case by case situation. This sounds like something we might make an exception for.

I would say I'm against it because I use VPNs to join unknown teamspeaks all the time. However, it's keeping these 2 shitheads (Savage and Joel) from spoofing my playerid again and getting me permed so I'll just keep my mouth shut xd

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

80% of hackers use vpns, as well as ban evaders. It gets rid of the shitters.

Ok, you get them on that 1 account. Then they figure it out. Then they just change their IP. Arma isn't expensive unless you're a poor 15 yr old

Just now, Merpfer said:

Well, even if you are 15 it isn't hard to steal mommys credit card real quick

Don't see that working more than 3 times maximum unless there's a product of Hellen Keller and Stevie Wonder playing Olympus. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Phizx said:

Don't see that working more than 3 times maximum unless there's a product of Hellen Keller and Stevie Wonder playing Olympus. 

You're missing the first part "You get that 1st account, then they change their IP" 

Even if it does only work 3 times, that's still 3 times someone is fucking up the server, bad

Just now, Merpfer said:

You're missing the first part "You get that 1st account, then they change their IP" 

What the fuck are you talking about dude LMFAO 

1 minute ago, Merpfer said:

Even if it does only work 3 times, that's still 3 times someone is fucking up the server, bad

If they have enough money to spend, that is. Half of the kids hacking are one and dones like MC at cartels ( @Corporal_moob xd) , doubt they'll do the work to bypass these systems. You've got to remember they aren't much more than poor 15 year olds , they don't all think like you do.

If some would be hacker/ban evader has it out to play on Olympus and has the funds, they most certainly will. This automated system is not for them.

Imagine for a second someone buys a new arma account to ban evade because their IP is banned on Olympus. They try with the new account and get banned from the VPN thing. Welp, now that account is boned. So yeah, they can go through the trouble of calling their ISP and changing their IP (Which most charge money for) but they would have to buy a 3rd account.

For other situations where some random hacker guy who might already be IP banned on his main IP is using a VPN to go find random altis life servers to hack and then they come on ours with a VPN and get permed, they move on.

There will never ever be a way to stop hackers/ban evaders for good. But we can deter some of them and that's worth it.

12 minutes ago, McDili said:

they can go through the trouble of calling their ISP and changing their IP (Which most charge money for)

For other situations where some random hacker guy who might already be IP banned on his main IP is using a VPN to go find random altis life servers to hack and then they come on ours with a VPN and get permed, they move on.

There will never ever be a way to stop hackers/ban evaders for good. But we can deter some of them and that's worth it.

If I wanna change my IP I fry my router after a storm and bring it to the store. They just give me a new one. Bam new IP no money spent at all

34 minutes ago, Ignis said:

Then we did what we were trying to do :D

1 account, its so easy to get another

1 hour ago, Phizx said:

If they have enough money to spend, that is. Half of the kids hacking are one and dones like MC at cartels ( @Corporal_moob xd) , doubt they'll do the work to bypass these systems. You've got to remember they aren't much more than poor 15 year olds , they don't all think like you do.

if they are playing arma, and hacking their PCs aren't TOTAL potatoes so they have some money. $40 is nothing.

and if they are one and dones then why are you banning the people that most likely aren't even ban evading or evading from hacking? They are one and dones so whats the point if you are uselessly banning tons of people that care about their security or are like Ultra and have no choice

If I wanna change my IP I fry my router after a storm and bring it to the store. They just give me a new one. Bam new IP no money spent at all

The fact that you'd have to go to the store is quite a bit more of a deterrent than just going online and spending 5 minutes to use a VPN.

1 account, its so easy to get another

if they are playing arma, and hacking their PCs aren't TOTAL potatoes so they have some money. $40 is nothing.

and if they are one and dones then why are you banning the people that most likely aren't even ban evading or evading from hacking? They are one and dones so whats the point if you are uselessly banning tons of people that care about their security or are like Ultra and have no choice

Your entire argument centers on the fact that people can change their IP and buy more accounts but that logic applies to ANY type of ban in general. Bans are pointless at all if someone is rich/hates money and has the patience to get a new router EVERY single time they get banned.

Like obviously some folks are determined enough that this will happen and does happen. I'd bet MBPSlyr still plays Olympus even. Like I said, this system won't stop them. It will however, stop people with less patience, which is a decent chunk of hackers that come to Olympus. So yes, it will stop some of them. That is undeniable and you have no presented a counter argument to that point.

If Ultra has no choice then he will be added to the VPN exception list and ez pz he can play freely. You act like we're out to keep these people banned lmfao.

3 hours ago, Poseidon said:

80% of hackers use vpns, as well as ban evaders. It gets rid of the shitters.

Fuck yeah +1

And another reason, dont get ban, or don't use a VPN, or don't be a shitters and play the damn game.

7 hours ago, McDili said:

The fact that you'd have to go to the store is quite a bit more of a deterrent than just going online and spending 5 minutes to use a VPN.

Your entire argument centers on the fact that people can change their IP and buy more accounts but that logic applies to ANY type of ban in general. Bans are pointless at all if someone is rich/hates money and has the patience to get a new router EVERY single time they get banned.

Like obviously some folks are determined enough that this will happen and does happen. I'd bet MBPSlyr still plays Olympus even. Like I said, this system won't stop them. It will however, stop people with less patience, which is a decent chunk of hackers that come to Olympus. So yes, it will stop some of them. That is undeniable and you have no presented a counter argument to that point.

If Ultra has no choice then he will be added to the VPN exception list and ez pz he can play freely. You act like we're out to keep these people banned lmfao.

Can I ask, what are justifiable reasons to use a VPN?

Because some people purely use them just so no one gets their IP, which is pretty fair imo, but would you make that exception?

Honestly I've had a guy steam call me... hang up, then 2 mins later send me my ip through steam. Probs a wire shark kiddie but then about a month later he messages me "I'm selling IP's of Olympus player" and I was like WTF? Then he sent me my IP again. He had a FULL DOCUMENT of all Olympus players IP addresses. I started using a VPN after that but got rid of it after a while.