The Olympus Wiki Retrospective

As I’m sure most of you know by now, I am stepping down from the role of Senior Curator as I am satisfied with the work I have contributed to this project, and am confident that all of you will be able to continue maintaining and improving upon what we created. As someone who has watched this Wiki grow from a simple assortment of basic pages to a comprehensive resource for anyone seeking more information on the game mode, it’s safe to say we’ve definitely come a long way in the last two years. I originally signed up for the wiki because my prerogative since I’ve begun my Olympus career has been to contribute in meaningful ways towards helping new players and bringing new faces into the community by working to bridge the gap between the noobs with 2 hours, and the crackheads who’ve been pushing the same low poly rocks for 2000. This was particularly dear to me in 2020-21 as the player count was somewhat deteriorating and I, as many of us who remember this time, we’re concerned we were entering the twilight of Olympus as we knew it. It was a bittersweet feeling to have found this amazing community that I wanted to get involved in, yet, at the same time watch those who came before me speculate that it was in it’s death throes. This is around the time that @ Noahhh! began releasing his “Who the F*ck is” interview series, and seeing all of these people who I vaguely knew and recognized talking about their experiences and path through this community inspired me to want to do my part to contribute. The original team that made up the very first batch of wiki contributors was an outstanding bunch of people. @ 1thedoc @ Lime , and @ Maddox are each amazing and dedicated people, and I have very fond memories of late nights spent fabricating pages and diving into Dev data with these guys when we were just starting out. At this point, the wiki was damn near barren, with only a handful of pages going through the most basic mechanics and features. Our OG wiki team essentially built the wiki from the ground up under Noah, and eventually @ Brolaf , until no corner of the game was undocumented and written about. The satisfaction of going up to new players in-game, and having them open the wiki for the first time after we had spent up to 3 months fleshing it out was everything. My mission statement has always been that, I want to be able to provide the same memories and wonderful experiences I’ve been able to have on Olympus to as many people as possible. Being given the opportunity by @ Zahzi and  Noah to be able to accomplish this through the wiki is something I will always be grateful for and I will always carry with me as one of many positive experiences I’ve been able to have in my time here and I’m glad to be opening the door to allow someone else to share in this experience with my departure. 

I’m not leaving the community anytime soon, but I thank all of you for making this possible and humoring my tendency to ramble on and on by reading this post. Shockingly, being apart of this community has been one of the most positive experiences I’ve ever had in gaming and I am eternally grateful to each and every person who has helped keep it alive, toxic, unhinged, and enjoyable for all of these years and for many more to come. (TL;DR Thank you for humoring my fat oly ego :)) 

I am currently writing this on my phone, as I don’t have access to my PC, before anyone comments on how horrible the formatting is for a post about leaving a role where that’s literally a primary component 😉 . I know it’s a tad cringe to be writing a wiki O7 post, but I fucking love the wiki so fuck you ^_^ 

@ Marcus , I know you will do a fantastic job in this position, and I know you’ll pick the right person for the job. 

@Wiki Curator @Senior Wiki Curator

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • BlessUp 1
22 hours ago, Siltonious Milton II said:

NO HOW WILL THE WIKI SURVIVE!!!!!!!!!!!! 😭😭😭😭 BIG LOSS IN THE COMMUNITY TODAY

Let me collect my e-rep in peace

image.thumb.jpeg.382d3dd0b8430a11bb6e69a14be52b8c.jpeg