Adults and old people come

Today I turn 18 and become an adult. No clue how time went by that fast but here we are. Does anybody have any advice they wish they got when they became an adult? Does anything really change? Is there more or less stuff I get to do? More responsibilities and shit? Don’t really have anyone else to tell me and everyone seems to live on the forums so figured I’d ask.

I’m sure @ The Sovereign can provide some

• Love 1
  • Downvote 1

1. Turn Around

2. Go back to being a kid 

3. Adulting is a trap

So you became another cog in the wheel today. Congratulations, it's nothing like what you have dreamed of your entire childhood and yet it is. Going to jail is real. But it's mostly doing your chores without anyone reminding you(especially laundry) and deciding what to eat for every meal until you die. Also, it can be harsh, especially if you've lived in the shelter of your parent's shadow. At the same time, go out and be yourself, the rest will fall into place as long as you keep moving forward.🧁

• Like 4
  • Love 1

If you don’t have one already… get a credit card and put something like your gas or phone bill on it. Pay it off monthly and don’t use it for anything else.

• Like 2
  • +1 3

As cringe as it sounds live with your parents until you get a decent job going, i moved out the day i turned 18 and struggled quite a bit until i got a good job.

• Like 1
  • Admin

Don’t stress about figuring out what you will do for the rest of your life. You have time. Enjoy your life as much as you can while you’re young and before you have a family to take care of. 

Your decisions, especially the questionable ones, matter much more now. Your entire future can be ruined in one stupid decision. So have fun, but think things through. 

If you live where credit matters, don’t wait. Having good credit makes your life so much easier. Get a credit card and use it for a single expense and pay it off every month. You’ll thank yourself later when you want to finance your first car or house. 

Don’t smoke cancer sticks. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Developer II

Look after your friends and look after yourself. Although many of us have had experience with dabbling in substances as teenagers- it's way different the moment you become an adult. All of a sudden you are living on your own or with a few friends. You drink and smoke way more than you used to (or at all), and you have an absolute blast. You go through rough or hard times and you feel the desire to feel better. Subconsciously you know that alcohol and drugs make you feel better so you take them. That's how addiction starts and every single time you expect to send you up, when doing it to address a problem; it will near always send you lower.

Addiction isn't just stealing your friends or parents money for the substance. Sometimes it is just consuming a lot of a substance all the time but it's normalized for being in your twenties. Heavy shit but I could've helped a lot of friends had I recognized they were striggling.

Ultimantely be dilligent but have fun. Happy birthday.

• Like 2
  • Senior Web Developer

One piece of advice I wish I was given when I turned 18 was to Evade Taxes. It would've saved me tens of thousand of dollars. (not legal advice, I am not responsible for any advice you take from this).

In Reality, save your money, invest it. Also, do whatever you want as long as it makes you happy, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

• Like 1

Exercise, whether that be at a home gym or a commercial gym, might be hard for some people on here to even step a foot from their desk without falling and crying for comp. Go learn a martial art, Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is my top recommendation.

Nutrition, 99% of "normal" foods bought in America are filled with illness causing shit, source your own meats, eggs, vegetables from local butcher shops/farmers markets that don't douse their shit in herbicides/pesticides/hormones. It will be more expensive, but your body will thank you for not consuming copious amount of red 40 dye every meal. Learn to cook rather than just using a microwave and boiling water for everything. 

Find a job that you can tolerate until you can do your passion for a living.

All I can really harp on, otherwise don't get arrested, if your country/state allows it buy a firearm so you can ifrit rip IRL without AHK and Zcheats to do it for you.

• Like 5
  • Admin
5 hours ago, ares said:

Today I turn 18 and become an adult. No clue how time went by that fast but here we are. Does anybody have any advice they wish they got when they became an adult? Does anything really change? Is there more or less stuff I get to do? More responsibilities and shit? Don’t really have anyone else to tell me and everyone seems to live on the forums so figured I’d ask.

Well. Depends on who you ask. I left my parents house at an older age after 25 so… turning 18 really changed nothing other than starting college etc :). And work! 

To be honest man. If your parents are awesome, don’t be rushing to live by yourself. Why in the fuck would someone be rushing to pay $1300 a month to live with retarded roommates at 18. Stay with your parents as long as you can. You’ll miss them when they are gone. (Thankfully mine are still alive).

Ps, you can still bring girls to your room for free motel sessions. Parents usually don’t care about that lol 😛

You got all your life to be an adult and pay fucking bills. Ain’t no hurry to do that shit. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, ares said:

Have adventures.  Step outside of your comfort zone.  Don't lock yourself into a career or education until you've lived it up.  I was at 1000+ concerts (literally) before I even started college.  Those are the best memories of my life.  Don't have kids.  Just live it up.  

When it comes to careers, like 1 out of every 50 people come out of college with the same career intent they went in with.  Keep an open mind and use college to explore, not get married to a career path.  

Your friends are going to slowly one by one start dropping off.  You'll care less because you don't need as many when you're older.  Everyone starts doing their own things.  But pick one or two you can't go without and try to never forget to water that garden.  

Your plans..... they mean jack shit.  All of them.  Plans are a basic guide, but life is going to throw you down so many detours your head will spin.  Sometimes, you'll find yourself in places because of it, that you couldn't imagine life without.  You're not in competition with anyone, and nothing that anyone else thinks about your life matters.  Just live it in a way that you challenge yourself enough to not be bored, and have enough comfort as to negate the stress.  Do your best.. nobody knows anything.  You'll never feel like an adult.  That's a myth. 

• Like 1

Get a credit card and pay it off every month. Start investing what you can, find a good mutual fund, and remember its time in the market, not timing the market. -Happy Birthday

• BlessUp 1

Be cautious of who your friends are. Gravitate towards people your age with goals, strong mindsets, not irresponsible. Eventually you might pick up your friends habits, so make sure they are good ones.

• +1 1

Don’t take yourself too seriously and stay humble. As contrary to your nature as a teenager as it sounds, you know next to nothing about the real world 😞 but you’ll get there 

• Like 3

Shit does make me feel old af tho.  Our little Noble squeaker all grown up.  

• Like 2

I second the people saying invest in the market, but do have something to add to it. Try and find stocks to pay out dividends frequently and the reinvest that money back into the stock

• Like 1

u still a bitch thp=o no doubt

3 hours ago, The_Real_Jester said:

Get a credit card and pay it off every month. Start investing what you can, find a good mutual fund, and remember its time in the market, not timing the market. -Happy Birthday

hes not good at paying off loans buddy still owes me 5 mill

• Downvote 1

Couple things, just cause you don't talk to people everyday doesn't mean you are not friends. Some of my best friends I talk to every other month (happens the older you get). Be smart with your money, No need to be freakishly cheap but don't be out buying dumb shit like name brand clothes unless you have the means. If POSSIBLE try to buy a house/condo ASAP instead of renting as renting is just throwing your money away basically. Do what makes you happy but shit happens and life sucks sometimes, look forward to the good times and life gets easier. 

Job/Career - You don't need to have it figured out now but here are some options if you're lost. These will vary with how much your parents/family help you out financially.

Community College Degree - If you're going to go to college then go to community college first. That will cover your associate's degree and you can package the associate's as 60 credits towards a four year college. Community College is much cheaper than a four year and the professors are typically pretty much the same, I had a lot of professors that taught at military schools or high ranking medical schools. If your parents are NOT helping with college then you most likely qualify for a state grant, which in my state, covers the entire tuition.

Community College Certificates - If you don't want to go to college then a community college may be beneficial still due to the certificates some of them provide. You can get a radiation technician certificate within 6 months and be around $70,000 a year just from that certificate. Apply this to Paramedicine, Firefighting, Welding, whatever it may be, a community college near you most likely has some certificates that are worth exploring.

Fire Department - A good choice if you're poor. The state/city will cover all your courses and equipment and you can have a full-time job within 6 months.

Military - Stay away, not a good decision if you're lost. You'll simply have four or five years go by, get out with some cash, and still be lost. Only join if that's something you have wanted to pursue your entire life.

Government Jobs - If you're in some of rural area a lot of state jobs have employee needs. If you typically just have a high school degree you're good to go. This is a bit different in major cities due to more people having degrees.

Sleep/Fitness/Health - Get control of that before you're 30 years old and weak.

I will emphasize that you do NOT have all the time in the world. Do NOT take advice from people who tell you that. You're 18 now - and within a blink of the eye you will be 25 potentially in the exact same situation you are today, wondering where to go. Don't go in a rush but whenever somebody tells you that you have all the time in the world think about where that individual is in life and if you want to be in their shoes.

Do not get complacent with the time that you have. Remember to enjoy it and investing time into something and realizing it isn't for you isn't a bad thing, you're just one step closer to finding what you enjoy in life. Whether that be finance or living the woods.

You are also the sum of your friends. If all your friends are losers then you're not a guy with loser friends, you're just a loser. Find people like-minded with discipline, hobbies, goals, people who exercise and appreciate life. You'll find these people in positive hobbies so don't expect them to find them at a bar or somewhere similar.

Same advice goes for the person you date. If you date a loser they will absolutely drag you down and take away time that you can never get back - so be selective, not desperate.

Edited by Not Skateezy -Don't Ban-
  • Like 2