Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

Why do you Role-Play?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you Role-Play?

• I just like hanging out with my friends
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you think Role-Playing is aimed at younger audiences?

• Yes
    • No

I was just thinking and this question was brought up to me - Why do we Role-Play?

First off, there are the obvious reasons we role-play, such as "It's fun" or "It's something to do".

I'm delving into the real reasons of why, and specifically, why people who tend to be under the age of 25?

After thinking about it, I believe that people that are under 25 Role-Play even though they often have jobs and college to go through and to is because of their open minds. Often times people over that age are too strung up in paying bills and dealing with life that they never get to escape reality and come somewhere where they can have fun, and have fake problems.

Anyone have any ideas? Why do you think it's a subject for younger audiences? Or DO you think it's a subject for younger audiences? Just a strange topic.

I think for the people with issues, it's a way to escape regular life and come hang out in a place where they can be whoever they want, and have fun with it. For anyone, role-play is a way to get more immersed in an alternate reality.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Ham said:

Never really thought about it :/

It is a strange topic xD

15 minutes ago, djwolf said:

I think for the people with issues, it's a way to escape regular life and come hang out in a place where they can be whoever they want, and have fun with it. For anyone, role-play is a way to get more immersed in an alternate reality.

I agree, but it's just strange that it seems to be only younger groups of people that are involved in Role-Play.

Just now, TheSkyStarKnight said:

You know what, some players may be older xD. But still, the majority of Olympus's base are people below the age of 25.

I don't see very many 30 year olds playing video games anyways lol. At least we aren't playing Minecraft or Hearthstone ( @Tman15tmb )

1 minute ago, djwolf said:

I don't see very many 30 year olds playing video games anyways lol

That's true, but Why? You may say they have things to worry about like getting food on the table, and showing up at their job etc., but people under the age of 25 (depending on their age) may have to deal with a job, school, college, relationships etc as well. Just strange is all.

Just now, TheSkyStarKnight said:

That's true, but Why? You may say they have things to worry about like getting food on the table, and showing up at their job etc., but people under the age of 25 (depending on their age) may have to deal with a job, school, college, relationships etc as well. Just strange is all.

It all depends on the personality and what people like. You wouldn't be playing here if you didn't want to. Nobody is forcing you. If you're 30 and enjoy playing Minecraft ( @Muthinator ), then so be it.

2 minutes ago, djwolf said:

It all depends on the personality and what people like. You wouldn't be playing here if you didn't want to. Nobody is forcing you. If you're 30 and enjoy playing Minecraft ( @Muthinator ), then so be it.

(casually hating on Moo), I guess that does bring insight to a conclusion. People just change when they get older, I guess.

28 minutes ago, TheSkyStarKnight said:

Probably because older people just aren't used to playing computer games. If you grew up with them you're probably more likely to play them when you're older. I don't think it's the age that matters that much, but rather the technology that was around during childhood. But I'm not saying that you have to have grown up with these games to enjoy them now. 

Edited by Marty
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Marty said:

Probably because older people just aren't used to playing computer games. If you grew up with them you're probably more likely to play them when you're older. I don't think it's the age that matters that much, but rather the technology that was around during childhood. But I'm not saying that you have to have grown up with these games to enjoy them now. 

There is certainly a point there.

5 minutes ago, Jaeger Mannen said:

You bunch of fucking agists... I'm older than all of you combined and I role play better than all of you combined...

It's not age, it's the individual and how much they're willing to let "go". 

We have some pretty hardcore roleplayers here... :-D

18 minutes ago, Muthinator said:

I use to play with Legos... Now I play video games!

That's quite a step up xD

Medic: RP as a First Responder who's seen too much and openly weeps when someone is dead (also have a wife and several children)
Civ: Either Drunk, crazy homeless man(can not do anymore because I had Korean Police called on me), or a hardcore masochist (made better when I make choking sounds/begging APD to degrade me)

Sometimes you have to create your own fun. Needless to say, I play way more as R&R, mostly for the server's benefit.

151111__mel_l_1.jpg

• Like 2

Taxi Tom Sr. only knows the small scheme of life. I enjoy to RP because it shows the creativity of someone else, how fast they can think on their feet(or kneeling). To keep a character going for the sake of everyone else is quite a rewarding challenge. Some people may never know if that's really how taxi tom is or if it's just him acting. I know when I do my taxi fare, or do a divery missions or petty theft and hear people chuckle when they hear "If you ever need a taxi, call Taxi Tom!" It makes my gaming experience that much better. And I can only assume everyone else's.

image.jpeg