Olympus Entertainment - Celebrating 10 Years! [$2k+ GIVEAWAY] ×
Special Promotion [FREE OLYMPUS+] ×

Arma Reforger and Olympus?

So as every single ArmA fan from 12 to 52 knows, Arma reforger is out, and it is the forerunner to Arma 4.
Arma 4 from my understanding will use the same language and engine as Reforger, so in theory porting anything you build for Reforger to ArmA 4 should be far less taxing than A3 scripts / mods.
In that regard I am wondering if the Olympus Team is considering a Olympus Reforger server?
Getting a head-start now as they say could be good, and be ready with almost everything needed for when A4 comes out.

Going to A4 without the toxic hellhole that is Olympus seems kinda sad honestly, it would be like when ArmaHolic died.

Anyway just a question, I'd love to hear everyones thoughts on this!

GG

• +1 1
  • Pepega 1

Let me preface this by saying im not staff so whatever i say is not for certain, im just taking my best guess on what ive heard.

2 minutes ago, Tally said:

In that regard I am wondering if the Olympus Team is considering a Olympus Reforger server?

im 99% sure they will be working on making the server file & scripts, im not sure whether or not they will actually release a server for reforger or just use reforger to get ready for arma 4's release. But as a simple answer to your question yes odds are they are working on making a life mission & scripts to go with it, now will it release in reforger or arma 4 is the real question. My guess is they will eventually release a reforger server but i wouldnt expect it any time soon. The game itself is basically a glorified tech demo but as time goes on and more modding is done for the game im assuming more and more servers will pop up.

I personally feel like it's not the play.  Maybe in some smaller capacity to figure it out, and having oly players help beta test.. but a loooot of time and money was put into making A3 olympus what it is... and in any serious capacity, Ryan has to pick one server type and run with it.

Going hard on the stepping stone game would effectively be abandoning the full and complete version of the game we have now to play on a half created version of olympus that nobody would want to put too much effort into until A4 came out.

It would be neat to see, but a waste of resources that could risk killing the loyal playerbase in that time.

2 minutes ago, anti said:

I personally feel like it's not the play.  Maybe in some smaller capacity to figure it out, and having oly players help beta test.. but a loooot of time and money was put into making A3 olympus what it is... and in any serious capacity, Ryan has to pick one server type and run with it.

Going hard on the stepping stone game would effectively be abandoning the full and complete version of the game we have now to play on a half created version of olympus that nobody would want to put too much effort into until A4 came out.

It would be neat to see, but a waste of resources that could risk killing the loyal playerbase in that time.

not really a waste when BH themselves basically said whatever you make on reforger will be able to be easily ported to A4. Its either stay with the dying game that is A3 or move on to the newer game in the series and work from there. From your POV i can get why staying on arma 3 would be reasonable but that would just be ryan digging the grave for olympus.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

not really a waste when BH themselves basically said whatever you make on reforger will be able to be easily ported to A4. Its either stay with the dying game that is A3 or move on to the newer game in the series and work from there. From your POV i can get why staying on arma 3 would be reasonable but that would just be ryan digging the grave for olympus.

Base scripts they would still have to entirely adapt to an entirely different game that just uses the same engine.  

It's a head start, but it changing guns, vehicles, map locations, ect. would be quite a chore, especially when you have no idea at all what to expect with the maps and resources on Arma 4.   I think more than anything it's a learning experience and a place to fill their notepad with scripts to leapfrog from.

• Like 1

It's a head start, but it changing guns, vehicles, map locations, ect. would be quite a chore, especially when you have no idea at all what to expect with the maps and resources on Arma 4.   I think more than anything it's a learning experience and a place to fill their notepad with scripts to leapfrog from.

thats what im saying, ofc theyll still work on arma 3 but they should take the chance with reforger to put in some work on scripts etc for arma 4

Reforger is essentially a tech demo for ArmA on the enfusion engine and, as such, it’ll only be receiving 12 months of support from BI. 

Personally, might be fun to have a server for conflict or any other fun game modes that get made or released but it might be more beneficial to utilize the development tools so that, when the framework for Life servers are put out, we can hit the ground running in regards to making Olympus a unique experience well suited to our community. 

All of this is way above my skill set and pay grade of course so that’s just my two cents 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Lucien said:

they are probably waiting for the people already working on the open source framework to do the heavy lifting

This.  Oly wasn't created from scratch.  Ideas were 'borrowed.'

Reforger uses a new engine that has switched in-engine scripts to the new Enforce language and the engine itself works with different frameworks. By BI's admission it's completely different, not very interchangeable with things made for A3. and has a learning curve.

Right off the bat, it requires learning the new language, salvaging what's possible and having to re-do a lot from scratch. That's not a simple task, especially for the dozens to hundreds of scripts currently on the server and when you have to keep up with the heavy workload of development for the server, with a team of volunteers, part time, and not exactly a large one either.

The game could be used as a testbed, but don't expect a server anytime soon, what little content there is, it's 100% military focused and as far as I know we don't even have any 3d artists to make the dozens of models for the game to be barely playable in an RP game mode. By being set in the 80s, a lot of things we take for granted will also have to be re-made from scratch or wait until a rudimentary version comes out from BI.

The real goal is A4, but information on that is minimal. Like many have said, reforger is a glorified tech demo and test-bed for Enfusion, don't expect a server anytime soon, but as @ Ryan  has already said and implied multiple times that when the time to transition comes, it will happen.

• Love 1

This.  Oly wasn't created from scratch.  Ideas were 'borrowed.'

not really what i meant, Olympus, Asylum, etc. are all generally based on the Altis Life Framework originally made by a guy named Tonic that does a lot of heavy lifting. Database calls, factions, the run and money making framework are all publicly available if someone want to make their own server. No such thing exists for Arma Reforger, so someone has to figure out the hard stuff like how to call a database in particular which was already done for Arma 3 before Olympus's existence. Not that our devs don't do hard work, but it is very unreasonable to expect Jay and the rest of our devs to learn how to do that and be able to dedicate their time to learning a new engine and game when their own work could end up obsolute from collaborators with more free time who are willing to share their work.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tally said:

Going to A4 without the toxic hellhole that is Olympus seems kinda sad honestly, it would be like when ArmaHolic died.

Olympus will 100% be a server on Arma 4 whenever it comes out. Just gotta hope you have the same dev team or at least a good dev team like we have now. I could see them coming back if they o7'd when Arma 4 gets released who knows tho. But I think any owner of Olympus, which I am assuming it will be Ryan for quite some time, will 100% go into A4.

As for the Reforger, idk, but I think the engine is still in the works and is not complete. Currently Reforger is on the same engine as Dayz Standalone I think, could be wrong. It doesn't really seem like a good game to have a life server on, but I would gladly be proven wrong.

• Admin

Personally speaking, Reforger doesn’t look like the type of game that a life server would work on. As others have said, it’s a tech demo pretty much for Arma 4. Obviously I’d see Olympus on Arma 4. But Reforger? I don’t think so. 

46 minutes ago, Skeeter McGraw said:

When dweebs buy reforger it delays arma 4. Bohemia won’t release the game until the reforger cow is dry. 

Part of the purpose of Reforger is  to bankroll A4 development so this is false. Like I said before, only a year of support from BI for the game to keep developing the engine and give development tools to communities like Olympus 

1 hour ago, Millennium said:

Olympus will 100% be a server on Arma 4 whenever it comes out. Just gotta hope you have the same dev team or at least a good dev team like we have now. I could see them coming back if they o7'd when Arma 4 gets released who knows tho. But I think any owner of Olympus, which I am assuming it will be Ryan for quite some time, will 100% go into A4.

As for the Reforger, idk, but I think the engine is still in the works and is not complete. Currently Reforger is on the same engine as Dayz Standalone I think, could be wrong. It doesn't really seem like a good game to have a life server on, but I would gladly be proven wrong.

DayZ mechanics make great rp servers if the people know what they are doing. Very vast. 

33 minutes ago, Rafa said:

Part of the purpose of Reforger is  to bankroll A4 development so this is false. Like I said before, only a year of support from BI for the game to keep developing the engine and give development tools to communities like Olympus 

Ehh maybe. Didn’t do it with arma 3 or dayz stand-alone. 

3 hours ago, anti said:

Keeping the server on a deprecated/outdated game with the other large communities moving to reforger or arma 4 would be a great way to kill the playerbase. Even though reforger is early access it still almost plays better than arma 3, with the bad parts for me being combat and lack of guns and vehicles in the base game. Also new engine has a non scuffed scripting language that anyone with a moderate level of programming is able to learn quick, so dev shortage won't be as much as an issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sploding said:

Reforger uses a new engine that has switched in-engine scripts to the new Enforce language and the engine itself works with different frameworks. By BI's admission it's completely different, not very interchangeable with things made for A3. and has a learning curve.

Right off the bat, it requires learning the new language, salvaging what's possible and having to re-do a lot from scratch. That's not a simple task, especially for the dozens to hundreds of scripts currently on the server and when you have to keep up with the heavy workload of development for the server, with a team of volunteers, part time, and not exactly a large one either.

Yeah, I can mos definetly see the point where having to learn a new language, and re-build everything from scratch being a quite heavy workload, then having to do that for free on your offtime as well, fook, I probably wouldnt....

That being said, Enfusion and Enscript is the future in ArmA, and SQF will be dead within 1-2 years, so even if the plan is not to build an entire framework from scratch it could be beneficial To dip our toes into it.

If anyone is into the whole modding / scripting scene and is thinking about building some minor features feel free to hit me up! I did do a lot in A3, mostly AI but those days are soon gone and it could be fun to see what come next.
From looking at the tools provided the posibilities and depth in enfusion just looks INSANE to say the least.

4 hours ago, Skeeter McGraw said:

Ehh maybe. Didn’t do it with arma 3 or dayz stand-alone

We could get into a whole “gaming company finance” discussion here but we probably don’t know Jack about it and, at the end of the day, “Don’t buy from the game studio as it will only delay future projects”, is a bit of an oxymoron 

• Owner

Alright im gonna keep it 💯 with you guys on this.

7 hours ago, Tally said:

So as every single ArmA fan from 12 to 52 knows, Arma reforger is out, and it is the forerunner to Arma 4.
Arma 4 from my understanding will use the same language and engine as Reforger, so in theory porting anything you build for Reforger to ArmA 4 should be far less taxing than A3 scripts / mods.
Getting a head-start now as they say could be good, and be ready with almost everything needed for when A4 comes out.

Anyway just a question, I'd love to hear everyones thoughts on this!

GG

Olympus will 100% move to A4 when it is released. It will be all hands on deck as soon as we have word regarding it. As for a reforger server, that is TBD. Myself and the devs have played around with it, and at its current state it doesnt have much to offer regarding a server outside of the gamemode Bohemia released with it. We will announce anything as time comes, but I will say we are not putting all of our resources into it at the moment, this does not mean we are ignoring it though.

7 hours ago, Strafe said:

Reforger's playerbase isnt any larger then A3 at the moment, and naturally the news regarding reforger actually brought a lot of attention to A3 again. So we have our spike in playerbase as if it was summer ^_^ But like I said earlier, reforger is a WIP and cannot make any promises as of yet regarding what we are doing with it.

6 hours ago, Rafa said:

Reforger is essentially a tech demo for ArmA on the enfusion engine and, as such, it’ll only be receiving 12 months of support from BI. 

Personally, might be fun to have a server for conflict or any other fun game modes that get made or released but it might be more beneficial to utilize the development tools so that, when the framework for Life servers are put out, we can hit the ground running in regards to making Olympus a unique experience well suited to our community. 

All of this is way above my skill set and pay grade of course so that’s just my two cents 🙂 

We already got word of a life framework being in the works. No need for us to waste resources and re invent the wheel when someone else already is doing it. Will see what that, plus other game modes that will be released have to offer and work on it from there. I mean hell, our current mission file doesnt even look remotely close to what Tonic's original looked like.

6 hours ago, Sploding said:

The real goal is A4, but information on that is minimal. Like many have said, reforger is a glorified tech demo and test-bed for Enfusion, don't expect a server anytime soon, but as @ Ryan  has already said and implied multiple times that when the time to transition comes, it will happen.

💯

6 hours ago, Lucien said:

not really what i meant, Olympus, Asylum, etc. are all generally based on the Altis Life Framework originally made by a guy named Tonic that does a lot of heavy lifting. Database calls, factions, the run and money making framework are all publicly available if someone want to make their own server. No such thing exists for Arma Reforger, so someone has to figure out the hard stuff like how to call a database in particular which was already done for Arma 3 before Olympus's existence. Not that our devs don't do hard work, but it is very unreasonable to expect Jay and the rest of our devs to learn how to do that and be able to dedicate their time to learning a new engine and game when their own work could end up obsolute from collaborators with more free time who are willing to share their work.

Nailed it, same response that I gave rafa earlier 🙂 

4 hours ago, Bloodmoon said:

Keeping the server on a deprecated/outdated game with the other large communities moving to reforger or arma 4 would be a great way to kill the playerbase. Even though reforger is early access it still almost plays better than arma 3, with the bad parts for me being combat and lack of guns and vehicles in the base game. Also new engine has a non scuffed scripting language that anyone with a moderate level of programming is able to learn quick, so dev shortage won't be as much as an issue.

Like I said, we are working on seeing what we can actually do with reforger, but our time would be minimal as of now. As for the other communities, myself and the other server owners speak quite frequently and although we are all keeping our eyes on reforger it seems every large community is just as focused on it as we are. Believe me, we all know how I feel about A4 or any other new arma title, you best bet ill be on that thing quicker then anyone once time comes.

3 hours ago, Tally said:

Yeah, I can mos definetly see the point where having to learn a new language, and re-build everything from scratch being a quite heavy workload, then having to do that for free on your offtime as well, fook, I probably wouldnt....

That being said, Enfusion and Enscript is the future in ArmA, and SQF will be dead within 1-2 years, so even if the plan is not to build an entire framework from scratch it could be beneficial To dip our toes into it.

The language enfusion uses actually to my knowledge is one that our devs already know very well so I dont see much of a learning curve for them. Yeti himself said from a developer standpoint Enfusion looks really good, so will see what we get out of it.

From a very reliable source I have that has been 100% correct about everything within this last year/two, they said A4 current release timeline is 2024/2025, however with reforger + tencent funds that can always be moved up. As of right now though, we shouldnt expect A4 for at least another 2 years until some progress is made. 

10 minutes ago, Rafa said:

We could get into a whole “gaming company finance” discussion here but we probably don’t know Jack about it and, at the end of the day, “Don’t buy from the game studio as it will only delay future projects”, is a bit of an oxymoron 

Well over 50,000+ people tried to play on the servers on release date. Considering 50k is the minimum, in just one day they made 1.5Mil. Id say they are properly funded lol

• Like 1