Thoughts on a "Stock Market" system?

Just a random thought I had, but would it be feasible to incorporate a stock market type system as an entity to gain wealth? Example; say you add an NPC that allows a player to purchase stocks in every commodity, housing, diamond, gold, sand, firearms, automotive, etc. Make it so that the price fluctuates due to consumer demand or mass production. This would obviously be a much faster paced stock system, than an IRL system, but I feel would add another feature to the server.

• Like 5

I'm going to say no, and here's why:

1. Olympus is a light RP server in which you can make money quite easily if you grind for even a day. What light RP also means for Olympus, is that we don't have features on the server that are generally, well, more "hardcore" RP type things. Not saying we couldn't have it, I just feel it wouldn't fit and would be too easy a source of money.

2. Olympus doesn't have a physical demand for consumer goods. IRL you have consumers that buy products that someone makes. Everybody is a consumer whether they know it or not. If you even buy one Twinkie, you are a consumer. But, on Olympus, we simulate the person buying a Twinkie. When someone sells $100,000 worth of Twinkies (if we had them), the price drops severely even if no person on the server buys Twinkies (Poseidon please add!). So basically, demand always goes up, no matter what! Even when there's 5 people on the server, the price still goes up the same as if there were 111. 

These two things combined would cause people to sell enough Twinkies so the price drops insanely low, then they would buy the stock. After that, they would camp the Twinkie factory (xD) so that the price would keep going up and up and never go down. Once it reaches the top, all of them would sell millions worth of stocks and make an absolute fortune. And all this could be done within one restart. So, theoretically, they could make 100's of millions in a day just by putting all their money into Twinkie stocks, camping it until price rises, then selling it.

Now, I'd like to state, I think it would be awesome to have a market that fluctuates by people actually buying products, but sadly I don't think that'll happen because, as I stated earlier, Olympus is a light RP server and a fully dependent on player interaction market and stock market wouldn't fit the Olympus style.

I like the idea, but sadly, Olympus doesn't have the right market system for a stock market, and it also doesn't have the RP levels that it would fit in. Every time a idea like this is brought up, where Olympus is too low of an RP server for a certain feature, people say "go to ALRP!" and scream and yell at the person who's trying to make the server better, but I actually think that it could be a pretty cool idea on a server like ALRP or some more "hardcore" RP server.

BTW, this did give me some cool ideas that I'm going to think through.

I do agree, a stock market based on produced goods would be monopolized and more than likely fail. What I'm suggesting is a market based on consumer goods, firearms, cars, trucks, aircraft, housing. If there was an easy way to sort through the logs and find an average of how many of certain things are purchased in a 24hour period, and set the limits and margins based off of those numbers. Example: let's say on average, there are 100 hatchback sports purchased every 24hours, let's say that the next day,  that number drops below that threshold and now 50 hatchback sports, the market loses half of its value. If that number of sold units goes up, the market follows.

You'd be better off having a system where you can buy a different currency where Altis currency becomes USD. Then every 5 minutes the server fetches the current exchange rate for each of the available currencies and then you can buy/sell on that currency.

At least that is a lot more random than based on all of the things someone will definitely do during a server restart. Someone could literally fix the prices of products to gain money which IRL is illegal.

1 hour ago, Bow said:

You'd be better off having a system where you can buy a different currency where Altis currency becomes USD. Then every 5 minutes the server fetches the current exchange rate for each of the available currencies and then you can buy/sell on that currency.

At least that is a lot more random than based on all of the things someone will definitely do during a server restart. Someone could literally fix the prices of products to gain money which IRL is illegal.

I do like the "ForEx" type stock idea 

3 hours ago, Altis Realty Group said:

I do agree, a stock market based on produced goods would be monopolized and more than likely fail. What I'm suggesting is a market based on consumer goods, firearms, cars, trucks, aircraft, housing. If there was an easy way to sort through the logs and find an average of how many of certain things are purchased in a 24hour period, and set the limits and margins based off of those numbers. Example: let's say on average, there are 100 hatchback sports purchased every 24hours, let's say that the next day,  that number drops below that threshold and now 50 hatchback sports, the market loses half of its value. If that number of sold units goes up, the market follows.

ez invest in quadbikes then buy like 1000

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DANGUSDEAN said:

1. Olympus is a light RP server in which you can make money quite easily if you grind for even a day.

I love how u guys always say this when both servers average around 15 cops and u have gangs that dont fight cartels and just camp people trying to make money. Maybe if u are cop yes because every cop on this server robo cops but other then that its not as easy as u think.

4 minutes ago, ZUR9H said:

I love how u guys always say this when both servers average around 15 cops and u have gangs that dont fight cartels and just camp people trying to make money. Maybe if u are cop yes because every cop on this server robo cops but other then that its not as easy as u think.

First off, we don't robo cop. There are certain situations in which you don't have time to have a 20 minute RP talk with someone, especially when they have cop manslaughters and inexcusable charges. When I was new, there were days where me and 3-4 buddies had one two crater we shared and did quad bike runs of heroin. Took no time at all and we all made about 400k if it went ok, which means we got caught once or twice. Also, people complain that there's some people who camp, then be smart, scout out the area, make sure you have a getaway route, have one person cover while the other processs, and for fucks sake, I see people complain about getting robbed easily when they don't even bring a gun with them. I restate, it's not that hard to make money tbh.

1 hour ago, DANGUSDEAN said:

First off, we don't robo cop. There are certain situations in which you don't have time to have a 20 minute RP talk with someone, especially when they have cop manslaughters and inexcusable charges. When I was new, there were days where me and 3-4 buddies had one two crater we shared and did quad bike runs of heroin. Took no time at all and we all made about 400k if it went ok, which means we got caught once or twice. Also, people complain that there's some people who camp, then be smart, scout out the area, make sure you have a getaway route, have one person cover while the other processs, and for fucks sake, I see people complain about getting robbed easily when they don't even bring a gun with them. I restate, it's not that hard to make money tbh.

400k between 2 people is not good lol

1 hour ago, DANGUSDEAN said:

First off, we don't robo cop

guess u have never witness Prime or TI play cop and thats mostly who plays cop. 400k even if it was split which i am hoping thats what u mean is still shit.

2 hours ago, Analdo said:

400k between 2 people is not good lol

We all made 400k each. not 400k between us.

2 hours ago, ZUR9H said:

guess u have never witness Prime or TI play cop and thats mostly who plays cop. 400k even if it was split which i am hoping thats what u mean is still shit.

That is not most of the cops that play btw. That's literally only a fraction of the total number of cops.

@Heinz Gormittz Made a real life stock market where there are thousands and thousands of real stock and filters that you can invest in through him. it is really in depth and more people should check it out. 

Also if you were to put a stock market in game let's say you wanted to short sell mushrooms. All you and your gang would have to do is sell all your mushrooms driving the market price down. And you make infinite money just by short selling and driving the market down. To much control over the markets.

But check out Heinzs' real stock market it's great!

Check the link out in my signature if you are actually interested in investing. I offer Forex, Stocks, and Futures with no limits. Options are unavailable due to the fact that they expire so much that I cannot make a system to keep up with them without spending hours a month updating my spreadsheets. 

@Sociopathic and @DashTonic and @Flume thank you for notifying me about this.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ZUR9H said:

Civs make way more money than cops. It is definitely not hard to make money as a civ, don't know what you're talkin about.

Just now, McDili said:

Civs make way more money than cops. It is definitely not hard to make money as a civ, don't know what you're talkin about.

ez to say as a admin 

Just now, ZUR9H said:

ez to say as a admin 

Sure, deflect and dismiss the argument based on a label.

We were all civs once. And I mean the evidence is right in front of all of us. I can spectate on the server and find folks doing runs at any given time during prime time. At non-peak hours people run the shit out of meth and moonshine.

Robbery is part of that as well. Robbing a run is making money just the same as completing one. Everybody gets robbed, but not every run is robbed.