I can understand how it's frustrating that an update isn't out but you have to remember that the dev's do this in their leisure. They are not paid yet produce some of the best work in the Arma 3 community. I was around when we wouldn't have updates for 2 or 3 months at a time because of the slow process. Y'all need to respect these people and the hard work they put into the community so you can have fun.

1 hour ago, TheCmdrRex said:

Yeah but then people will get upset they have to donate again for the same thing.

Probably best to get close to finish then announce the goals :P 

#Pay The Dev's 2019? 

2 hours ago, TheCmdrRex said:

We are trying our best okay?

But seriously it’s not the easiest to remain caught up with 5 elaborate donation goals in a row (mind you developers aren’t the ones to usually come up with it - we just get told to do it) and have a very active civilian council plus have senior development focusing on the battle with hackers and other back end things. Not to mention not a single developer gets paid for their work and we all have pretty busy lives. 

Passive Perks has been a shit show as they continuously are getting adjusted and we are still waiting on finalized perks from a faction (can’t entirely blame them cause they had to be denied late but still - can’t code anything if it’s not approved)

Next update will get us caught up with donation goals with the exception of the bank. That requires lots of work and it hasn’t been a priority. It will also get the tasing script fixed (which was NOT easy) and a bucketload of other changes. In addition, due to development priorities and IRL situations, the physically update comes to the work of only a couple developers (not to include the designers work - they work separately and all seem to have done an amazing job)

In any free time that I have been getting I have been working on some extra goodies for people as well as some back burner tasks. 

Like fuck me I always wondered why old developers lost passion/ seemed disgruntled at times and now a think I understand at least a few reasons why. It’s a real shame that people who don’t even donate feel so entitled to getting the donor reward within the next month it’s met. We try but can’t always succeed. It’s an online community - NOT my full time job.

I get you guys want new content. It's coming. I am just asking you guys to take some time and understand why it might take a bit to get the new content.

They dont even know the THICCNESS 

Image result for butt emoji

4 hours ago, Drippp said:

It’s not the first time they have promised a dono goal and been extremely late on it. War terminal was months ago donation goal and where is it at?

and the save loadouts took ages 

2 hours ago, TheCmdrRex said:

But seriously it’s not the easiest to remain caught up with 5 elaborate donation goals in a row (mind you developers aren’t the ones to usually come up with it - we just get told to do it) and have a very active civilian council plus have senior development focusing on the battle with hackers and other back end things. Not to mention not a single developer gets paid for their work and we all have pretty busy lives. 

Passive Perks has been a shit show as they continuously are getting adjusted and we are still waiting on finalized perks from a faction (can’t entirely blame them cause they had to be denied late but still - can’t code anything if it’s not approved)

Next update will get us caught up with donation goals with the exception of the bank. That requires lots of work and it hasn’t been a priority. It will also get the tasing script fixed (which was NOT easy) and a bucketload of other changes. In addition, due to development priorities and IRL situations, the physically update comes to the work of only a couple developers (not to include the designers work - they work separately and all seem to have done an amazing job)

In any free time that I have been getting I have been working on some extra goodies for people as well as some back burner tasks. 

Like fuck me I always wondered why old developers lost passion/ seemed disgruntled at times and now a think I understand at least a few reasons why. It’s a real shame that people who don’t even donate feel so entitled to getting the donor reward within the next month it’s met. We try but can’t always succeed. It’s an online community - NOT my full time job.

I get you guys want new content. It's coming. I am just asking you guys to take some time and understand why it might take a bit to get the new content.

I understand <3 ;)

24 minutes ago, DeadPool said:

They dont even know the THICCNESS 

The thiccness of donating for something and not getting anything but "SoonTM" and then getting "sorry, too much work for our devs" after 3 months of waiting? :4head:

I think everyone is misunderstanding what donation goals are for... The donation goals isn't, "donate so we get it right away" its donate and the dev team will then start developing once goal is met... 

If March goal is considerably harder to implement then April's goal, April's goal may finish before March's goal... Of course server performance, bug fixes and anti cheat takes precedence over goals..

If the goals were already finished then why donate? Devs aren't going to sit on their hard worked on code for long if goals arnt met... Just saying

5 hours ago, TheCmdrRex said:

Don't worry about those dudes and keep on trucking, ArmA code is very unstable and the amount you guys have put out despite engine limitations is remarkable.

People always want new things but imo Olympus needs an "operation health" where for a month there is no new content and devs can just optimize.

I have a friend who works as a dev for an unturned server and their devs get paid 25 a week, he wanted to start an ArmA server and balked at how difficult it is to dev on here and gave up because he wouldn't be able to pay devs enough until his server started turning a profit. People literally get paid decent ish money to do what you do and while Olympus not paying staff is a different issue altogether you guys do an incredible job considering you're unpaid and working with a demanding community/limited resources.

Edited by sploding
40 minutes ago, MAV said:

I think everyone is misunderstanding what donation goals are for... The donation goals isn't, "donate so we get it right away" its donate and the dev team will then start developing once goal is met... 

If March goal is considerably harder to implement then April's goal, April's goal may finish before March's goal... Of course server performance, bug fixes and anti cheat takes precedence over goals..

If the goals were already finished then why donate? Devs aren't going to sit on their hard worked on code for long if goals arnt met... Just saying

I think a conversation should happen with development team about an approximate time of completion when goals are agreed on, and that should be communicated loosely.

Everyone knows goals were being met in less than 48 hours.  When a goal is put up, someone should be saying “hey man, with ur current work load, is this a 1 month goal or 2 month goal?”.  I think our devs are very competent and barring any significant set back such as the recent string of hackers, that a loose timeline could be kept and communicated.

A larger issue is when a goal say “will expand upon this when goal is met”, and 3 months later there really hasn’t been any true expansion.  The communication has speculated and ideas have been given, but nothing official.

Again, I understand our devs are working hard, working for free, and have a shit ton on their plate.  It’s a stressful job.  But it’s not unreasonable to ask for communication.  

McDili May have set a trend with very obtainable goals that came out almost every month after goal was met.  So where this isn’t a hard rule, any community member who’s played or started playing during the last year or so has come to expect it. The load screen still shows patch notes from February on them.  When vehicles were discounted, they never were mentioned in patch notes either.

Rex as of late has done a great job talking about some things that are coming out.  I’m glad to see the work they have put in is finally coming to be used.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, RDyer216 said:

I think a conversation should happen with development team about an approximate time of completion when goals are agreed on, and that should be communicated loosely.

Everyone knee goals were being met in less than 48 hours.  When a goal is put up, someone should be saying “hey man, with ur current work load, is this a 1 month goal or 2 month goal?”.  I think our devs are very competent and barring any significant set back such as the recent string of hackers, that a loose timeline could be kept and communicated.

A larger issue is when a goal say “will expand upon this when goal is met”, and 3 months later there really hasn’t been any true expansion.  The communication has speculated and ideas have been given, but nothing official.

Again, I understand our devs are working hard, working for free, and have a shit ton on their plate.  It’s a stressful job.  But it’s not unreasonable to ask for communication.  

McDili May have set a trend with very obtainable goals that came out almost every month after goal was met.  So where this isn’t a hard rule, any community member who’s played or started playing during the last year or so has come to expect it. The load screen still shows patch notes from February on them.  When vehicles were discounted, they never were mentioned in patch notes either.

Rex as of late has done a great job talking about some things that are coming out.  I’m glad to see the work they have put in is finally coming to be used.

I can agree communication is key, a bi-weekly dev post with bulleted progress and high high high level notes would be nice.. as long as the community can be fair to the devs when they post about a delay.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, RDyer216 said:

Everyone knows goals were being met in less than 48 hours.  When a goal is put up, someone should be saying “hey man, with ur current work load, is this a 1 month goal or 2 month goal?”.  I think our devs are very competent and barring any significant set back such as the recent string of hackers, that a loose timeline could be kept and communicated.

Honestly I see this less as an issue of the devs and more as a community issue, like Rex said dev's don't have an input when goals are settled and to speak candidly they're given a turd and told to make it smell good at times. we have tons of issues with optimization and current content but the community keeps pushing for more content.

Arma has what's commonly referred to as "spaghetti code" and it's common for a fix to break something else, these guys work on a volunteer basis while having to do a ton. Olympus makes more than enough to pay its devs even a small allowance for their work, until devs (and less so the rest of staff) start getting paid for their work we need to respect their call of delaying things no matter how long and appreciate the effort they put in for nothing.

If devs stay getting paid I agree they should be held to higher standards, but I've led and worked with volunteers for approximately 5 years and through different orgs I have around 9 years of experience and one of the things we're always told is to be realistic about expectations, praise and reward good work and most importantly maintain a high degree of flexibility. I get this is a game but they are volunteers and it's important to keep those points in mind when dealing with them.

3 hours ago, sploding said:

Honestly I see this less as an issue of the devs and more as a community issue, like Rex said dev's don't have an input when goals are settled and to speak candidly they're given a turd and told to make it smell good at times. we have tons of issues with optimization and current content but the community keeps pushing for more content.

I totally agree that we shouldn’t blame the devs for the workload.  But I’m confident that after a bit of discussion we could get a better timeline of the workload on their plate.

@MAV‘s idea of bi-weekly updates is solid.  I would even say that very high levels of detail aren’t as necessary as “on par”, “delayed” or “ahead of schedule” as long as there was communication.

6 minutes ago, RDyer216 said:

I totally agree that we shouldn’t blame the devs for the workload.  But I’m confident that after a bit of discussion we could get a better timeline of the workload on their plate.

@MAV‘s idea of bi-weekly updates is solid.  I would even say that very high levels of detail aren’t as necessary as “on par”, “delayed” or “ahead of schedule” as long as there was communication.

High Level means just bulleted brief points

9 hours ago, RDyer216 said:

I have zero issue with asking the devs to put out a tracker with a few options and updating it every once in a while.

My issue is with the people saying the devs are lazy and that OS needs to reign them in. Especially people saying "I donate so I deserve to get the goal" because it's simply untrue. To flex again 9 years of volunteer experience with around 5 of those being in a supervisory role and imo this server goes against all the best practices of dealing with volunteers. The donors bitching remind me of when I was a volunteer firefighter and people would cuss me out on scenes because they "I pay your salary" despite the fact I wasn't ever getting paid.

Olympus makes more than enough to give small paychecks to devs and Sr staff and despite being one of the biggest gaming communities in the world purely based off playerbase it still doesn't for some reason despite being a dev/designer/sr staff member here being almost a full time job. Personally I think high level OS should get paid, but until that happens the community needs to realize they're volunteers and treat their work and time as they would with any other amateurs.