20th Anniversary of 9/11 | Where were you?

I was 12 and in 6th grade. Most the kids didn't really know much. Some of the kids had heard rumors that the country was being bombed. I remember Coach Randall turning on the tv because he said he didn't want to shelter us and that we should be aware of what was going on. Shortly after the second plane hit, we were told that we would be going home early. Got home and literally sat in front of the tv watching the news the whole day. Can't really speak on what I felt that day, probably more confusion than anything. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Claysive said:

I was 12 and in 6th grade. Most the kids didn't really know much. Some of the kids had heard rumors that the country was being bombed. I remember Coach Randall turning on the tv because he said he didn't want to shelter us and that we should be aware of what was going on. Shortly after the second plane hit, we were told that we would be going home early. Got home and literally sat in front of the tv watching the news the whole day. Can't really speak on what I felt that day, probably more confusion than anything. 

I was in grade 7......fuck were getting old clay!

• Sad 1
  • Admin

I was in 10th grade. One of the saddest days ever. They shut down school for that day and sent us home. What a terrible feeling. 

Yup @ Claysive  I win. I’m a boomer. 

• Like 3

I was in my mother's stomach at the time. I still remember the feeling of the amniotic fluid caressing my naked body.

Real talk though, every year the stair climb really puts it into perspective for me. Most of us walk the stairs wearing weighted vests, oxygen tanks and the like. To be there in the moment running up those stairs to save anyone you can... That hits me deep. Thank you to all of those past, present, and future members of our law enforcement, fire fighters, medical personal and military members. You're all the true heroes.

"Even the smallest act of service, the simplest act of kindness, is a way to honor those we lost, a way to reclaim that spirit of unity that followed 9/11." - Barack Obama

• Like 1
  • BlessUp 2

Story time kids.

I'm OLD AF so GET OFF MY LAWN is now my engagement message! 

I was 20, working as a certified nursing assistant in a nursing home, newly married, raising a toddler and life was good. That morning I had been assigned the minimal assist wing and I was picking up breakfast trays and helping those who are obviously now my current age get dressed/groomed/etc when the one woman's call light came on and she RARELY put her light on for anything. I walked into her room and there were tears in her eyes, she just kept saying a plane hit a tower and just about that time we watched on live tv the second plane hit. Things in the nursing home came to a halt as people became more and more aware. SO many tears shed as we watched it all unfold. Some of the nurses were already calling their families to prep for them to head there to help. Our employer offered to cover all travel expenses of those who went, though no one was really sure who to contact or where to go. In the days following some nurses were able to get contact information and set up a time to help.

Families, friends and even strangers prayed in every religion they could. Many of my friends enlisted. There was a sense of unity. American flags everywhere. More tears as programs showed clips and videos as they became available. The Pledge of Allegiance was said before every event in the dusty small town I came from.  It was really surreal in the moment and many were worried that more was coming or that it was the end. But I do not recall anyone running out to the store and hoarding anything. Also, Myspace was barely a thing so there wasn't the easily accessible market we have now via the internet.

Love and Light to those who need it as always 💜

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?" -Terry Pratchett

• Like 5

I was in 8th grade gym class... the creepy gym  teacher said something bad happened by some very bad people and that we were all going to be sent home...

I remember my sister, who was in college at the time once home wouldn't even let us play outside... my father was transferred off a project which was in a building adjacent to the WTC a week prior... the building was destroyed...

I now work next to the WTC and my office over looks the memorial where twin towers once stood... pretty humbling sight

• Like 6

I was in preschool when the towers fell, my mom worked in healthcare and my dad worked at a blood center. I remember it being an incredibly surreal experience. I remember my teacher stopping everything and we were just watching TV. As a kid I thought "hell yah, no more school," but very quickly it hit me that something weird and bad was happening. I ended up going home with one of my friends because neither of my parents could get out of work to pick me up. My dad eventually picked me up after midnight looking the most exhausted I had ever seen him. It is a sight that has never left me, and something that comes back to me every now and then. My mom ended up not being able to come home from work until the next day at 5. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, ThatNerdyGuy said:

Today's a very important day in the history of the United States of America. The 20th anniversary of 9/11 in which saw the World Trade Centers collapse after two planes struck both of the towers in New York City. Many people died from this event as well as many others would as well fighting for the United States in the Middle East over the course of the last 20 years. 

I know there's likely a good chunk of you who weren't born yet or were too young to remember anything. However, if you do have some memory or story regarding this event, please share it below. Any trolling or hate speech will be removed, this is a serious discussion and forum bans could be seen.

I was almost 5 years old at the time and was in afternoon preschool at the time. I was with my Grandmother and her sister going to breakfast at a local diner. Which was a normal Tuesday and Friday morning routine. We would also go to the shopping mall where I'd play arcade games. My allowance was $5 each time and you actually got a few plays in for that much back in 2001. On our way back around 9am we heard Dan Rather of CBS News come over the radio and announce that one plane had hit the first tower. My Grandmother dropped off her sister at her house and then we went to my Grandparents. We opened the door and turned the TV on right away, just in time to watch the CBS breaking news show the second plane crash into the second tower. After that things became a little fuzzy for me. I remember my Mom leaving work early to come and get me, so I didn't go to preschool that day(which didn't happen at all.) My Dad came home at normal time from work and we spent the whole evening watching the news. It was a such a surreal time because no one really knew if anything would happen next. 9/11 is one of my earliest memories that is mostly flushed out in my mind.

I was in the hospital a week old 

• Like 1

I was in 6th grade. I lived in New York at the time. I remember a friend of mine told me at lunch that a plane crashed into a building in NYC. Me being the huge plane nerd I am figured it was a small single engine plane not a commercial airliner. A lot of kids went home early that day. I was told after school I wasn't staying after and to take the bus to my dads. I got home and he was watching the news. I remember vividly seeing the images of one of the towers falling down. It's insane to believe it was 20 years ago. Me, my sister and our best friend set up a lemonade stand to raise money for the first responders shortly after it happened. We used food coloring to make the drinks red and blue. We didn't raise much but we wanted to do our part. What amazed me about that day is everyone put aside their differences. No one cared about race, gender, sexual orientation or anything. We all came together and helped each other. It makes me wonder why it took a national tragedy and 3000 people dying for that to happen. Sad..

I was born just 5 months after the attack on the world trade centers. Into a country seemingly and understandably blinded by rage. After everything that has happened in the last 20 years in and out of the united states. Im just left confused at what is next. Born into hatred at a whole race of people. I wish I could imagine a world under different circumstances. Not to say im not thankful for where i grew up. I only can hope that WW III isant any time soon. Because im up next.

• Like 1

I was in Camp Able Sentry in Macedonia. We were immediately locked down. There was a 2 hour wait lines to the phone. I finally got a call through to my mom. It was chaos because all of the police, fire, and national guard/ reserve units were put on alert in my state.

• Like 1

On a parking lot with a group of friends. When I got back home we suddenly had Fox news going 24-7 (I was living in Norway, and no cable) I suppose it was some attempt at getting Nato populations more accepting of the coming wars....

• 2 weeks later...

Was skipping high school taking a weed nap on my couch.  Got a call from a buddy that woke me up.  Told me 'a 747 was hijacked and hit the world trade center' and in my stupor I thought he was setting up a joke.  He kept insisting it was real. ... I came to and turned on the tv.  Second one hit while I was watching. 

Graduating class of 2002, 7 months after 9-11.  They called us "Generation Kill" because the whole country whipped into a fervor, and a huge chunk of my graduating class signed up for the military immediately.  

• Haha 1