Jump to content

Legal Water Activity


Which Method Sounds Better?  

147 members have voted

  1. 1. Choose

    • 1 - Set items at select shipwreck locations with designated traders
      80
    • 2 - Random legal items at any shipwreck location
      67


Recommended Posts

We have not forgotten about ship wrecks.  They are still on the developmental horizon; however, Poseidon/Jesse and I have varying opinions as to how they should be implemented.  So here are the two options.  

 

1 -  Collect a set item at a few designated ship wrecks on the map, take the collected items back to a designated trader once your inventory is full or you are satisfied, sell it (NO PROCESSING REQUIRED), and bathe in your riches in Kavala square and get RDM'd by Joe.

2 - Collect existing legal items (copper, cement, platinum, diamond, etc..) that are also ALREADY PROCESSED at ANY ship wreck on the map.  The items you are collecting are gathered at random.  So for example.  Once your inventory is full you will have say 10 diamond, 15 copper, 8 platinum, 20 sand, and 12 cement. Again, you will not need to process these items; however, you will need to take your misc items to the designated traders around the map.  You would obviously need to transition your precious goods into a land vehicle to cash them in.

 

Pros and Cons

1 - Pros - Less travel required, quicker runs, and more likely to run into fellow gatherers to actually RP with.

    Cons - Cannot collect at all shipwrecks, only designated ones.  

 

2 - Pros - Can collect at any shipwreck, less likely to run into other people since you can go anywhere.

     Cons - Less likely to run into other people to engage in sweet RP, Must transition goods into a land/air vehicle to cash in or store, items are gathered at      

              random which requires travel to multiple traders around the map to sell small amounts of gathered items. Alternative would be to store items up and

              sell at a later date.  More time consuming

 

 

There are probably more pros and cons to each but that lists a few major ones that come to mind.  Vote for what you think you would like the most.  Again, VOTE FOR WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE.  Dont go off the wall suggesting some crazy shit that will take forever to implement.  These are the two choices.  If you truly have a good idea feel free to bring it up.  But again, this vote is to figure out which method should be implemented, not collect 12 other different methods to consider.   

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

slightly off topic. what about plane crashes. there would appear a notification that one will pop up. then a redzone maybe 300 meters pops up on the map, (on land) and there would be a plane wreck. you would need a blasting charge to get in, and it would have illegal items like cocaine or whatever. it can also have legal items like platinum, or even on occaison have amazing stuff like gold bars. it would be random so sometime you make a lot of money and sometimes u get unprocessed copper. it would be a fun thing to make money, and also a new thing for rebels to fight at. just a suggestion. @Muthinator

  • Like 4
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, Berg02 said:

slightly off topic. what about plane crashes. there would appear a notification that one will pop up. then a redzone maybe 300 meters pops up on the map, (on land) and there would be a plane wreck. you would need a blasting charge to get in, and it would have illegal items like cocaine or whatever. it can also have legal items like platinum, or even on occaison have amazing stuff like gold bars. it would be random so sometime you make a lot of money and sometimes u get unprocessed copper. it would be a fun thing to make money, and also a new thing for rebels to fight at. just a suggestion. @Muthinator

"Dont go off the wall suggesting some crazy shit that will take forever to implement."

 

87wQl.gif

  • Like 2
Link to comment

On another altis life server, where are shipwrecks, they do the following:

They added some new items , like " old jar " , " rusty box " , " old gold bar " and like 10-15 stuff like these. Each of them has a differenct price from $250 to $10.000. And once you start to use your excavator on the shipwreck, they pop up in random order ( basically just like when u go out fishing with your boat ). Then you can remove everything what is cheap, and mine for more what is expensive.   how bout this ?

Link to comment
8 hours ago, Muthinator said:

"Dont go off the wall suggesting some crazy shit that will take forever to implement."

 

87wQl.gif

I mean the code would be very similar to shipwreck, just a plane instead of a boat, and on land instead of water. Also what's inside. Just saying it wouldn't be that huge difference of code. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Jesse said:

We very well could add in 5-6 items that would be in the pool that could be sold at a singular shop.

You could remove the worthless shit and continue for just for select item(s). Also, "quicker" & "slower" is relative. You're assuming that the gather speed for both would be the same as other items. Randomization would simply require more user input/interaction.

By doing randomized gathering we eliminate the "problem" we currently have. Where someone can know almost to the minute how long a run of X will take.

By having randomization it increases the chances of interaction if you get delayed by the RNG gods, or you could also have faster runs depending on your luck.

 

My personal opinion here.

1) eliminates the need for other traders then.  Not smart IMO, people will camp the shit out of it because depending on its location it would likely get used exclusively rather then using the established traders.  Olympus used to have this and it was awful.

2) Removing the worthless shit, to me, would be annoying and feel like a waste of time.  Just my opinion.  I wouldnt want to sit there and go through it to get rid of crap I dont want.  In the end people would likely only retain the most valuable thing.  To have to sit there and pick and sort and pick and sort would get old really fast.

3) If someone wants to rob you they will figure it out regardless of how long it takes.  Where there is a will there is a way.

4) I would be pretty pissed if i finally picked through all the crap just to get robbed when I finally get what I want.

 

Again the above is my personal opinion.  It sounds good on paper but I think it will get annoying AF when people are out gathering.  Most people are impatient enough as it is with the current set up for legal and illegal market item gathering, processing, and selling.  Its made to be like turtles in a sense but legal.  Its already difficult enough to get out on the water and do something. Adding in extra steps, such as transferring items into a heli or vehicle after sorting through crap, will kill the fun.  Not only will it take longer but it will also leave you exposed.  

13 hours ago, Berg02 said:

I mean the code would be very similar to shipwreck, just a plane instead of a boat, and on land instead of water. Also what's inside. Just saying it wouldn't be that huge difference of code. 

Again... Not asking for off the wall ideas that pertain to other things.  The purpose of this thread is to narrow down how we are going to implement this future.

Link to comment

Is there a way that each shipwreck spawns with an unknown item every restart. Sort of like the cartel system where every restart it switches except with the shipwreck you won't know until you go to it. So if there's 5 shipwrecks for platinum, iron, copper, oil, and cement for example. Every restart the ship those materials spawn in is randomized. Only one material is found in each ship cause that is a little more realistic than a little but if everything in one ship. And the material being randomized for each ship makes it more realistic cause then it's like a different ship than before. 

Link to comment
4 hours ago, DANGUSDEAN said:

Is there a way that each shipwreck spawns with an unknown item every restart. Sort of like the cartel system where every restart it switches except with the shipwreck you won't know until you go to it. So if there's 5 shipwrecks for platinum, iron, copper, oil, and cement for example. Every restart the ship those materials spawn in is randomized. Only one material is found in each ship cause that is a little more realistic than a little but if everything in one ship. And the material being randomized for each ship makes it more realistic cause then it's like a different ship than before. 

Are you really going to want to go to 3 or 4 different shipwrecks around the map before you find something worth while.  Again I dont think its wise to over-complicate the crap out of it.  Lets just get it going first and go from there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, Muthinator said:

Are you really going to want to go to 3 or 4 different shipwrecks around the map before you find something worth while.  Again I dont think its wise to over-complicate the crap out of it.  Lets just get it going first and go from there.

Alright. Just think it would be more fun and interesting. You're the designer so it is your call.

Link to comment

Maybe have the shipwrecks gather one new item like pirates treasure or something and then have the value of each shipwrecks treasure be randomly generated within a certain range and unknown to the player until it is sold. So someone might find a lucky ship with the max payout. Obviously not some ridiculous amount since it will be there all restart but small variations would be cool. Sell it wherever other precious materials can be sold i.e. silver, diamond, iron etc. Not sure if its hard to add different values to the same item but gathered from different wrecks but would be cool. Pretty much first idea but variations from ship to ship of item price.

Link to comment

Ok so I just got out of a meeting with the devs...  Bottom line.  No one could agree on anything and according to them they will not be able to look into Shipwrecks until mid March at the earliest. Sorry everyone.  I have been trying to get this in for over six months now, but at this point I dont see it happening anytime soon.  RIP the dream.

Link to comment
47 minutes ago, Muthinator said:

Ok so I just got out of a meeting with the devs...  Bottom line.  No one could agree on anything and according to them they will not be able to look into Shipwrecks until mid March at the earliest. Sorry everyone.  I have been trying to get this in for over six months now, but at this point I dont see it happening anytime soon.  RIP the dream.

It's all good. Too bad that so much shit has to be done by both devs and designers to keep everyone happy. We all know you guys work far harder than anyone expects. I think I can speak for the whole community in saying we greatly appreciate what the devs and designers do for this community. Obviously without you guys this community wouldn't be as great as it is now or be where it is now. I haven't been around the whole time but I've heard there have been some hard times for olympus, as a large number of people know, but seeing that Olympus has gotten past that shows how loved this community is. Honestly without Olympus I probably wouldn't be playing arma for over the year I've been playing on Olympus. There are some people who don't like me but this community is great, and with or without awesome shipwrecks, I plan to stay till the end. Cause this community is the best.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy.