I need some tips/opinions

So i’ve heard that arma 3 is a CPU based game and not much graphics card. I’ve been lagging alot recently but only in close quarters combat. Also i cant run discord and R6 together without losing basically all my frames and i get alot of stutters. I just want some tips or opinions on what to do, uf i should get a new CPU or i just have a virus or some shit.

Btw i have:

CPU:i5 6500

Graphics:GTX 970

memory:8 gigs

• Like 1

I would just try altering my settings or getting extra ram. I have the exact same gpu but 16 gigs of ram and a 6600k. I run this game flawlessly when I'm not in big cities. (I think the r6 and discrd thing is a ram problem too). 

Tbh 8 gigs sounds good enough

Edited by Theory

Arma is unfortunately one of those games, that turning alot of settings down to increase fps actually causes the opposite effect. Not in all cases, but in many turning settings down in arma actually causes worse fps. Just do a little research and you can find videos explaining what settings to adjust up/down for fps in specifically arma

Edited by Colbyy
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, Colbyy said:

Arma is unfortunately one of those games, that turning alot of settings down to increase fps actually causes the opposite effect. Not in all cases, but in many turning settings down in arma actually causes worse fps. Just do a little research and you can find videos explaining what settings to adjust up/down for fps in specifically arma

Can confirm. Turned my settings to High one day and the game was actually better than with all settings on low.

Lower graphics settings -> offloads more to CPU
Higher graphics settings -> offloads more to GPU and creates a better balance

I'd say try and optimize the settings. If you have GeForce experience you can do to there and they'll make the settings the best for your computer. If that doesn't help much, I would get a new CPU to get a more powerful one. Yes that is harder to replace and is more expensive, but depending on how long you have had it, it might be worth it to replace it.

Check task manager and watch how your resources are being used. You can also see which programs are using how much. The other day I opened task manager to find out that having GeForce experience in installed was causing my CPU to run at 20% at idel and at a nice and high temp...

If you're still experiencing mass frame drops in combat try getting a ssd and put windows on there it will make it much smoother and faster. 

P.s- Try lowering your view distance in game that helps alot.

You gotta try some stuff before getting a new cpu.  I play Olympus with a pentium g4560 which is a dual core 4 threads

15 minutes ago, [CC] Ghost said:

overclcoking your cpu may help of course only if you can keep it cooled 

He doesn’t have an unlocked cpu

Def get an ssd for Windows and Arma. I have a 2500k + 970 and 8gb ram and I cannot complain about performance. Ofcourse more fps would be great but an ssd made my game continuously playable. I do use 100% of my ram with ts, shadowplay and Arma running so 16gb might help you for R6 + discord

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Can confirm. Turned my settings to High one day and the game was actually better than with all settings on low.

Lower graphics settings -> offloads more to CPU
Higher graphics settings -> offloads more to GPU and creates a better balance

This and go to your task manager and kill any and all non essential stuff that runs in your background.

Can confirm, a better CPU would help with solid arma frames & definitely get an SSD if you get any stutters/drops.

*Trigger Warning *

I play on a fuckin iMac using an external SSD drive to load up windows. Always got 60fps because of the i7, but when I was using a spinning disk external I would get lag/drops in combat. Switched the spinning disk for an SSD & don't get any frame dropouts anymore.

35 minutes ago, Heavyxhitterxdab said:

Can confirm, a better CPU would help with solid arma frames & definitely get an SSD if you get any stutters/drops.

*Trigger Warning *

I play on a fuckin iMac using an external SSD drive to load up windows. Always got 60fps because of the i7, but when I was using a spinning disk external I would get lag/drops in combat. Switched the spinning disk for an SSD & don't get any frame dropouts anymore.

this man be on og moonshine calling out helis at ephedra 

Ideally, you want the fastest single-threaded performance possible to run arma 3 with no problems, I use the 6700k @ 4.0ghz, oc'd to 4.5, you can have an awesome 18 core cpu, where it's 2.6ghz, and would most likely run crappy.  Who know's, i don't have an 18 core, but my 6700k quadcore does run me @ 60-80fps, sometimes into the 100fps range, depends.  I would probably go for a 7700k if i was starting fresh.