Net Neutrality (FCC voted to repeal, Congress still needs to vote)

The FCC has voted in favor of repealing Net Neutrality on a vote 3-2.

Congress has yet to vote on this matter. I suggest calling your congress people.

If you’re not from America this is something going on in America.

• Like 4
  • Hmm 1
  • Downvote 2

lol good luck getting ahold of you congressman..you should know by now that they're going to vote whichever way most represents their agenda..

But yes, its shit and so is the FCC for doing this, if we're not careful our Inet will be similar to China's in a few years..

3 minutes ago, Fyshie said:

Not saying that. I'm saying that the market will not allow for companies to limit usage in such a drastic way. It will be a race against all the companies to see who can offer the best package - you may even get a better one than you have now.

Unless all the major ISP's enter into an agreement to offer specific tiers of plans...also depending on where you live you may only have 1 option for ISP which means they can offer whatever they want.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, MAVE2ICK said:

lol good luck getting ahold of you congressman..you should know by now that they're going to vote whichever way most represents their agenda..

But yes, its shit and so is the FCC for doing this, if we're not careful our Inet will be similar to China's in a few years..

If they see that their constituents have overwhelming support for net neutrality, they will vote in that way. If it's about even in terms of constituents for and against, they'll vote towards their opinion. Contacting your congressman is the best thing you can do at this point.

3 minutes ago, Fyshie said:

Not saying that. I'm saying that the market will not allow for companies to limit usage in such a drastic way. It will be a race against all the companies to see who can offer the best package - you may even get a better one than you have now.

I think it would work great like that - if the reality wasn’t that over 50% of people in the US only have access to one provider. No need to be competitive in an area where there is no competition. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, DANGUSDEAN said:

If they see that their constituents have overwhelming support for net neutrality, they will vote in that way. If it's about even in terms of constituents for and against, they'll vote towards their opinion. Contacting your congressman is the best thing you can do at this point.

Honestly don’t think Congress is gonna do much either. They are getting some fat ass paychecks (my own rep Paul Ryan got over $722,000) from internet companies. This is gonna be up o the courts I think.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Fyshie said:

No, ISPs will not enter an agreement. If you have only one option for an ISP, there will likely be more set up. If there's not... tough luck.

you know cable companies have agreements between eachother right? the same can happen with ISPs

1 minute ago, TheCmdrRex said:

I think it would work great like that - if the reality wasn’t that over 50% of people in the US only have access to one provider. No need to be competitive in an area where there is no competition. 

stock-photo-studio-isolated-hammer-hitti

• Carrot Kid
2 minutes ago, Fyshie said:

In theory, yes, but in practice, most Americans have access to two of fewer ISPs. According to the FCC in 2015, 45% of American households have only a single provider option for 25/3 Mbps service.

I personally can chose between Comcast or dial-up. Not much wiggle room there.

• Like 1

Honestly don’t think Congress is gonna do much either. They are getting some fat ass paychecks (my own rep Paul Ryan got over $722,000) from internet companies. 

This^^

Honestly don’t think Congress is gonna do much either. They are getting some fat ass paychecks (my own rep Paul Ryan got over $722,000) from internet companies. This is gonna be up o the courts I think.

While many big time congress people are getting money, there are also a fair number who aren't. Since we can't do anything in the court, we should do something where we can, and congress is really the only place that is. Also, continue to sign petitions and show support online, as that can also help.

5 minutes ago, Zahzi said:

It's actually a tad bit lower, but page 32 of the FCC's 2015 order. https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-15-24A1.pdf

Tbh the FCC could kys and I think I would laugh. Fucking pigs.

1 minute ago, Berg02 said:

Nn wasn’t a thing before 2015 and it was just fine

Internet and the technology surrounding internet has progressed immensely since 2015 too. Ever think about that? Obama administration knew that and passed laws in anticipation of internet progressing and the net neutrality was protecting people for the future not for that time. Sometimes the best way to fix a problem is to prevent it from ever starting.

• Downvote 1
35 minutes ago, Fyshie said:

No, ISPs will not enter an agreement. If you have only one option for an ISP, there will likely be more set up. If there's not... tough luck.

I am one of the many american’s who only have one provider. Do you know how many Americans don’t have a second option? Guess...

• Head Admin
27 minutes ago, Pledge said:

I am one of the many american’s who only have one provider. Do you know how many Americans don’t have a second option? Guess...

At least one =D

The world revolves around money if American ISP's have to choose between limiting package deals and getting money and upsetting people vs business as usual it's a no brainer.  Companies will always choose mo money mo money.

That said I have literally no idea what is happening. ^_^

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Grandma Gary said:

At least one =D

The world revolves around money if American ISP's have to choose between limiting package deals and getting money and upsetting people vs business as usual it's a no brainer.  Companies will always choose mo money mo money.

That said I have literally no idea what is happening. ^_^

Thats what I mean by ISPs will basically agree that they will go the traffic package route with internet... If a smaller ISP decides not to abide, the larger ISPs will crush them..

Also - Its seriously not hard at all to bypass this, purchase a nano VPS on Amazon's EC2 or Digital Ocean in like India or somewhere else, then set up a SOCKS5 proxy through an SSH tunnel with dynamic port forwarding...or purchase an anonymous VPN for like 60 bucks (or less) a year.

• Carrot Kid
2 minutes ago, Sonny Asif said:

I heard of it but what exactly is it? 

The principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favouring or blocking particular products or websites.

Basically, the use of the internet, and information transferred, should not affect the speed, price, or quality of the network to an individual. For example, a university student downloading course materials should get the same speeds as a family downloading a movie.

• Like 1