ASYLUM VS OLYMPUS

• Head Admin
12 minutes ago, Ascratchycarpet said:

Why do you prefer oly? Have you tried Asylum and still prefer Oly? I plan on hopping on Oly today when I get home from work to see what the main differences are. 

I joined Asylum and got gunned down by a Pawnee in Kavala so similar experiences I guess ^_^

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • PogChamp 1
  • Senior Admin

One of the big difference from Asylum to Olympus is the NLR or that was one of the main things for me when I switched from Asylum to Olympus

I find Asylum is behind the ball on every other server and not just Olympus development wise.

It really depends what your looking to do E:G Cartel fights, Kavala ratting or general scatting

A large part of why I switched from Asylum to Olympus was how it's more community ran E:G  Olympus has a civilian council which focuses on 5 main points of gameplay filled by multiple people from different gangs which they can bring up any issues for which players run into where I think Asylum recently introduced a feature which has like 2 random players to bring player concerns to them or something like that? Don't even know if they went through with that and if so no clue who they appointed.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Masoooooooooon said:

One of the big difference from Asylum to Olympus is the NLR or that was one of the main things for me when I switched from Asylum to Olympus

I find Asylum is behind the ball on every other server and not just Olympus development wise.

It really depends what your looking to do E:G Cartel fights, Kavala ratting or general scatting

A large part of why I switched from Asylum to Olympus was how it's more community run E:G  Olympus has a civilian council which focuses and 5 main points of gameplay filled by multiple people from different gangs and  

Nerd

• Downvote 2
8 minutes ago, Masoooooooooon said:

A large part of why I switched from Asylum to Olympus was how it's more community run E:G  Olympus has a civilian council which focuses and 5 main points of gameplay filled by multiple people from different gangs and Asylum recently introduced a feature which has like 2 random players to bring play concerns to them or something like that? Don't even know if they went through with that and if so no clue who they appointed.

What do you mean by NLR? 

I like to play cop for coordinated gunfights the most. Medic for money. Rebel for stealing peoples shit and just being an aggressive player. I love pvp 

• Senior Admin
36 minutes ago, Ascratchycarpet said:

What do you mean by NLR? 

Chapter 11: New Life Rule

1. If you die for any reason apart from dying by a Arma bug you may not return to that area for 15 minutes. (1 Kilometer from where you died)
    1. Exception: When killed on the Warzone Island or at any cartel NLR will not apply.
    2. Exception: When lethaled by cops at Rebel Outposts, NLR does NOT apply.
  2. APD may return to legal areas after death as they see fit. (This is to simulate the size of an actual police force)
  3. If APD die in an illegal area they are to return in waves. (Described more in detail in the APD Handbook)
    1. Exception: Bank events are exempt from wave rule.
  4. R&R must wait 15 minutes to return to an area if killed by not following directives. (Within reason, more details in R&R Handbook)

Just a additional rule which Asylum doesn't have.

Sometimes it will favour you if your robbing someone and then on the other hand it will be a pain if you're getting robbed.

• Like 1

Olympus is better imo because the rules are better and I feel like I run into so many weirdos on asylum, that being said, Olympus is also weird just my kinda weird

I started playing Altis life on Asylum. I ended up quitting Arma. When I came back in 2019, I started playing Olympus instead. I enjoyed the Olympus community better for some reason - that's the thing that kept me coming back here.

Shooting unarmed civs in editor is more fun than either though 🤫

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
42 minutes ago, Noahhh! said:

I started playing Altis life on Asylum. I ended up quitting Arma. When I came back in 2019, I started playing Olympus instead. I enjoyed the Olympus community better for some reason - that's the thing that kept me coming back here.

Shooting unarmed civs in editor is more fun than either though 🤫

Only in Eden can the bomos island castle be a thing 💔

• Like 1
  • Lead Developer

Personally I feel that Olympus was and is more refined in its rule set as well as how the server plays out. It's not Asylum level roleplay, but not quite wasteland either.

As of right now, Asylum has a more optimized system but also has quite a few more long-standing bugs than we do. Can't say how well their dev team is in terms of implementing ideas, but I feel that we have had a better grasp on quality (Minus bugs on release 🙂). I also don't like the talent system they have in place. Makes it too easy to switch what you're doing without consequence imo.

I tried both servers for a good 20 hours when I started getting into arma, but always liked Oly more.

• Like 2

As others have said before, the rules on Olympus are pretty clearly written and don't leave much up to individual interpretation. From my recent experiences on Asylum it seems that rules are pulled out of thin air, especially regarding the APD. It also seems that the player base on Olympus generally accept when they get rightfully caught by the APD and don't cause too much of a scene. Even if they do, you're able to go into a 'Support' channel on TeamSpeak and speak with the other player in the situation along with a Support Team member (who generally have a solid grasp of the rules) and hash it out there. On Asylum I've noticed that a lot of people cannot deal with spending 5 minutes in jail and scream their heads off claiming every possible rule break in the world had occurred when they get caught. The lack of proper documentation of the APD handbook, combined with no immediate outlet for handling the situation 'out of RP', ruins a lot of situations on Asylum in my opinion. Another big out-of-game difference would be each server's wiki page. Olympus' wiki was recently made by @Noahhh! (with help from others) and can be found here. All rule changes are reflected on the wiki and help to provide quick and accurate information for new and old players alike. I would highly recommend checking it out.

On another note, cops on Olympus are overpowered. I would say #ChangeMyMind, but you simply can't. On Asylum I constantly hear cops complaining that everything is sided against them (in favor of civilians). You won't hear that too often on Olympus.

• Like 3

I played on Asylum for about 2 years before I came to Olympus, so I hope my opinion means a little bit more than most. I had a lot more fun playing on Asylum than on Olympus. The admins are generally more reasonable in Asylum. Admins took care of comp requests and ban appeals a lot more efficiently. I didn't feel that the admins favored one group of people over another. 

Biggest difference I would say Olympus is more cop-oriented, where Asylum is more civ-oriented. I noticed on Asylum, you can RP your way out of a ticket depending on the cop. I could get a discounted ticket if my stories was good enough and unique. Where in Olympus, it feels like it is an US vs THEM. The majority of people playing as cops on Olympus hold grudges from civ-side and bring it over when they play as a cop. Instant tickets, robotic processing is a norm on Olympus.