My Humble Opinion on Recent Events

I would like to offer my own opinion and input into the latest situation. This is purely my perspective and does not reflect OS as a whole. Having been both a Deputy Chief -  for a significant portion of time – and a mod for what will almost be the same amount of time, I hope my point of view is one that people can find to be helpful. I want to say that most people think of me as being fairly level-headed and unbiased, but that is for you to judge.

My biggest qualm is reading the opinions of people who have not been on either side, Senior APD or OS. Your perspective of the server changes once you become Sr. APD, and it changes once again once you have been a long time LT, or are one of the lucky few to go above that. While the Sgt’s have quite a significant amount of power within the APD, they realistically have little input into changing how the APD operates. MANY ideas and changes are debated within only the chief and dep chiefs, with only a small fraction surviving through to be talked to with an additional few LT’s. The ideas that survive that are then brought up at Sr. APD meetings. The Sgt’s see only 10% of what goes on, and the LT’s see maybe 33%. The back room dealings that go on are absolutely ridiculous and more than you would ever anticipate from a video game. While I was a deputy chief before mod, I would be notified by GOAT about changes that would be occurring, changes that he shouldn’t have known about but were crucial for us to know beforehand so that we could try to figure out a compromise. This was not only true under GOAT’s reign. It happens, and at the end of the day it is unavoidable and part of the “politics” involved with running a server.

Before I go on, I do want to say that GOAT has done MANY great things for APD. He’s been a thorn in the side of some OS members, but has been a great balance on many topics. He fought hard for APD to be the best, because he truly cared about it. But he’s also done some shady things when I was deputy chief. Once again, he is not the only one to have done this, by far. No matter how great someone is, everyone has a shady side. There were some things done by GOAT that I did not agree with, and in some cases I was able to convince him otherwise. Other times, I just went along with it because the net good outweighed the bad.

When I became mod – something that GOAT had told me I should actively seek out since I mentioned interest in it – I had a better grasp of what exactly GOAT knew and didn’t know. Not ONCE did I feel pressured to give something up to GOAT and to use my mod powers / access to give APD an edge. The entire time he did have more information than he should have known in his position, but in the end it did benefit the APD and the server as a whole so I never made a big deal out of it.

To those of you who have never experienced either side of APD or OS administration, I beg that you keep your inflammatory comments and accusations, and instead gain information in a constructive way.

Last January when GOAT almost lost his Chief status, a majority of the APD had stepped down because they disagreed with the staff and what had happened. There was a several hour discussion / debate / argument that ensued. Shouldn’t the fact that not a SINGLE member has stepped down this time, and that it all happened in the span of an hour, be a signal to you? Yes, there are things that you are not privy to, both good and bad. I ask that you look at all sides, realize that every story has 3 sides (the accuser, the defender, and the truth) and figure out which side is closer to the truth. See which side has more supporters of the people that are in the know. All of the Senior APD loved GOAT. All of the Senior APD have remained.

• Like 13
  • Hmm 1
  • Downvote 2
5 minutes ago, Lethal said:

heres an outside POV: a rat really really wants Senior admin.

So what you just said right there, indirectly, is that you believe that "the rat" did something that the senior administration deems favorable. The same senior administration that has been running a successful server. If the senior administration has been successful thus far, doesn't that mean that they are doing something right, and should continue with whatever route they have in mind?

While I understand that you're upset about the situation, what about my post specifically did you not like or agree with?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Lucki said:

So what you just said right there, indirectly, is that you believe that "the rat" did something that the senior administration deems favorable. The same senior administration that has been running a successful server. If the senior administration has been successful thus far, doesn't that mean that they are doing something right, and should continue with whatever route they have in mind?

While I understand that you're upset about the situation, what about my post specifically did you not like or agree with?

IMO what happened was blown way out of proportion, and to clarify i dont really care im just here to stir the pot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2
7 minutes ago, Hoonter said:

As a Moderator and former Dep. Chief do you feel having a Admin as chief of police will be a good or a bad thing for the future of the APD?

We've had admins as chiefs before and it was fine.

1 minute ago, Hoonter said:

As a Moderator and former Dep. Chief do you feel having a Admin as chief of police will be a good or a bad thing for the future of the APD?

Many people forget that @McDili was an Admin while he was Chief of APD. A lot of people consider McDili's time as the golden age when APD really started to grow and evolve. He literally set the foundation for what APD is today.

To counter that, before McDili, there is an example of an admin that was chief that IMO really stagnated APD and only promoted their own friends. That was not a good chief.

There are way too many factors that go into it to boil it down to 2 categories - admin or non-admin. I personally, would not want to be a chief while in OS at the same time, but that is mainly due to time constraints. Having a full time job, planning a wedding, etc, would put too much stress on me, and I wouldn't be there as much as I would need to be. That was part of the reason I stepped down. With Rex on the other hand, he was made a dep. chief by GOAT, so a non-OS liked his opinions and skills. Rex also has a decent amount of free time, is respected by the SAPD, and like his predecessor, does a good job at listening to others and valuing their opinions. He's been around the block a few times and has been pretty instrumental to keeping SAPD sane by constantly coming up with ways to make everyone's life easier and the duties more enjoyable.

I believe he will continue to make APD a solid faction and one of the things that keeps Olympus interesting and unique. Time can only tell how it will work out.

• Like 5

For everyone saying rex did it for chief or whatever, you gotta respect he didn’t get chief off of being admin he got it off of climbing the ranks for a long time, I’ve seen him go from P.O. to chief, it wasn’t an overnight thing whatsoever. The admin and all just care along the journey and wasn’t there before he started. @TheCmdrRex

• Like 1
5 hours ago, I Am Fuzzy said:

Man, some of you are gonna feel lost in a few years when this game dies and your forced to move on. 

They'll hang on to the fake power until the curtain falls and their illusion shatters. The same is true over on the other side too (Asylum) except over there the curtain is coming down pretty fast. 

• Like 1